200TDI vs 300TDi

Warthog

here we go............

As far as running one goes you would only really notice that the 300 is possibly quieter, IIR same BHP/Torque/MPG etc....

Working on one, the 300 had more parts (is it 60 more? I think I read it somewhere?) but very similar to work on. 300 has engine management & ERG etc 200 has.....none of that stuff. Its a lillte more primitive with no electrical gadgets. Both have their fans, but there both very similar in use and reliability. I would have either. I have a 200, but wouldn't think twice about having a 300. Not in preference, as I don't really distinguish between the two for daily use.

I'm sure you may find others with differing views.

Important bit - buy based on quality & condition, not age.

Jas

Looking at getting a 110 as a daily runner. 300TDI models are running a little high for my budget, soooo im looking at the 200TDi models. Just looking for any good/bad points on either choice, when in a 110.

Cheers

300 engines did have a recall for the timing belt tensioner, and there was a retrofit.

From memory this was something to do with the alignment of the tensioner that caused eating of belts.

This has probably been done on anything you look at but is worth knowing.

(Easiest way to tell them apart is the 300 tdi has a serpentine belt. 200 has v belts)

Edited to add that each engine will have a different gearbox with it, if the vehicle is original:

200tdi gets the LT77 box. reverse is left and forward

300tid gets the R380 box, reverse right and back

The R380 reported to have a nicer gearchange.

The LT77 does have issues with the main output shaft to the transferbox whereby the splines suffer from lack of lubrication and eventually let go. Solution is fitting a crossdrilled output shaft or an oiler to the existing shaft if the wear is not too great.

Watch out for this being bodged either by someone waving a welder at the gear or hammering nails into the splines!

Listen for a sharp click as you take up drive (or reverse) which is the splines moving about. Use it as a bargaining point.

200tdi cambelt changes are more difficult than a 300tdi, and will cost more in hours.

You can't take the pistons out of a 200tdi with the engine in situ because you can't get the ladder frame off with the engine in. (this is hearsay, but I presume it is correct).

Crank pulleys tend to come loose on 200tdi's which can wreck the crank. A 300tdi pulley will not come off if the bolt is correctly torqued. (It often isn't, either because the mechanic does not have the locking tool or is too lazy to fit it).

The 300tdi toroidal oil pump is superior, giving lots of flow and pressure. For this reason it is unusual to have to grind the crank even at high mileages.

The 200tdi/LT77 combo is mounted further back and lower than the 300tdi/R380. Some say this gives better weight distribution, especially in a trialing 90.

200tdi's suffer from the cam bearings coming loose which can cause engine failure due to lack of pressure.

And here in SA the 200tdi is a rare beast as opposed to loads of 300tdi's. This makes the 300tdi spares much easier to obtain.

never had any cambelt problems with my very high mileage 200Tdi, these engines seem to be kinder to their timing belts, everyone I've done on my own vehicle looked almost new

the ladder frame prevents access to bigend bolts to allow the pistons to be removed with engine in vehicle [defo not hearsay]

crank pulley correctly fitted/loctited/torqued hasn't caused me any problems

dunno about the oil pump, but mine is working fine, plently of pressure.

200Tdi/LT77 sits in same place as all other earlier 2.5petrol diesel engines on the same chassis/block mounts too, as does my 200Tdi/R380 combo in my '89 110

IIRC it's number 4 [rearmost] cam bearing that can move in it's seating, if it does it then blocks the oil feed hole to that bearing surface/cam journal, causing low oil pressure/stravation problems,

just a few of my thoughts.

wish my 200tdi was nice to cambelts, it eats one every 15k or so. no reason i can find, all parts changed & fitted correctly. i guess they are the wrong flavour?

I only fit Dayco timing belts, maybe the pulleys are causing the problem [sharp edges to the drive splines ??]

possible i guess, although there doesnt appear to be damage to the teeth on the belts. they just look like they've snapped. last one seems to be lasting longer, maybe they changed the flavour?

both belts i fitted are genuine LR, the one that broke just after i got the car i dunno. it was nearly due & all the markings had gone.

anyway back OT(ish) at least if the belts break you know its not new engine time. last time it cost me £100 to fix & the genuine belt was £35 of that!

Neither sound like a nice V8 on song

It's not very often you can here that, where did you catch a sample of it?

Some dry climate somewhere....say the Sahara, Calahari or Gobi.

One day in the future, WD40 will of made a new brew to allow you to hear it in the UK.

WD please hurry as the fossil oil reserves are depleating.....unless V8's run on bio-d?

See you later 'tater.

T.

Here pussy pussy..............XXX. T.