200TDI Glowplug timer relay - how?

mikey7134

Wonder if you guys can help.

Bit of background first - engine transplanted into series 3.

There are 6 spades on the relay that I have wired up as per drawings:

1, battery +ve supply.

2, wire to glowplug.

3, white/red wire to start position on ign switch.

4, white to an ignition live.

5, glowplug warning light.

6, earth.

My question being what is the purpose of the white/red wire that goes to the start position of the ignition switch??

---without it connected, the relay appeared to be working (the dash light came on), but when I connected it, the dash light wasn't coming on (so assume plugs weren't on either).

Cheers.

The White Red Wire tells the relay when you are trying to start the car and turns off the plugs while you are cranking. It will work with or without the feed, it will just act as a normal timer.

I have PRC6913 and it is wired up exactly the same as yours. I don't understand why the relay wouldn't work with that wire connected unless the wiring or relay was at fault

Thanks. Has answered me questions.

Brilliant build thread by the way! - I've just had a look through.

RE: my plugs. Multimeter showing only 11.2 ish volts at glowplugs when relay activated - explains why light not working, etc. Never thought to check voltage across battery whilst i was there, but can assume battery needs a charge (have been testing headlight wiring, glowplug wiring, etc without running the engine yet, so expect it to be down on juice a bit).

I did think that originally as it starts instantly, but thought I may aswell future proof it whilst its all apart. Plus, I got all the parts now.

With me timer, I've got 12.7 volts on input side, but when ign is turned on, and relay switched, the input and output read 11.5 volts approx. Would this cause the light (& plugs) to not work as they need the full 12v? If so, what's causing the drop?

Cheers

1. The white/red wire from the ignition switch which normally goes to the starter solenoid to actuate it to turn the engine over should be connected/spliced to the white/red wire on the glow plug timer wiring. This wire then connects to terminal no 86 on the five pin starter relay. Terminal 86 is the terminal that triggers the starter relay when fed a current.
  2. 2 Connect a wire of appropriate rating from the spade terminal on the starter motor solenoid to terminal no 87 on the starter motor relay. Terminal 87 is the output terminal that outputs a voltage when the relay is triggered.
  3. Connect a wire from terminal no 85 on the starter motor relay to earth.
  4. Connect a wire from the battery positive/live to terminal no 30/51 on the starter motor relay. Terminal 30/51 is the input on the relay and outputs through terminal 87 when terminal 86 is triggered.
  5. The thick yellow/black wire from the glow plug relay goes to no 1 glow plug.
  6. The thick brown wire from the glow plug relay goes to the battery positive feed.
  7. The white wire from the glow plug relay splices in to the white wire from the ignition switch and goes to the cold start warning light and to the fuel shut off solenoid.
  8. The black wire goes to the earth side of the cold start warning light.
  9. The black/yellow wire goes to the earth side of the fuel shut off solenoid

200tdiWiring.jpg

1 = battery

4 = 5 pin relay

7 = cold start light

2 = Starter Solenoid

5 = fuel shut off solenoid

8 = no 1 glow plug

3 = Starter

6 = Ignition Switch

9 = Glow plug timer

post-17-0-86176500-1375795711_thumb.jpg

Cheers, but looking at that, I do have it connected up right. As I say it worked originally (without starter red/white cable), but since has not 'worked' whether connected or not.

The glowplugs are getting warm from the 11v supply (i think), but no supply to the warning light. & I'd like this to work just so I know things are working right, for peace of mind.

you get a 12v positive Supply to one side of the lamp from the ign switch, the timer relay earths the otherside and puts the warning lamp on, when the timer switches off it removes the earth and the light goes out.

Which is why I posted the picture :i-m_so_happy:

Ah sorry - my misttake. Think a confusion of trying to adapt Series wiring diagram to fit disco 200tdi is what had me.

I've been expecting a switched 12v from the timer relay - not a switched earth. Will change it round tomorrow,

Not sure why i got the light to come on originally though..

Thanks

• 9 years later...

Hi,

Had the same problem with a 200tdi fitted in my series 2a landy.

Glow plug warming light wouldn't come on with the red/white wire connected to the starter solenoid.

But if I disconnected the red/white wire the Glow plug warming light would come on and the relay would switch off the Glow plugs at the right time.

I figured that the red/ white wire should be connected to the other side of the starter solenoid. The side where the power goes to the starter motor.

My reason for this is before when the red/white wire was connected to the starter solenoid on the Spade fitting, this was getting power as well as the relay.so it was telling the Glow plugs and relay to turn off. Hence why the Glow plug light wouldn't light up.

When fitted to the other side the red/white wire will get power when you decide to start the engine and therefore tell the relay and Glow plugs to turn off.

This would make sense as you might want to start the engine without the warm up cycle, because the engine Is already warm or its hot outside.

Hope that makes sense

• Like 1