101 Axles

Defender

I believe 101 Axles are wider, have welded swivel balls (not replacable) have 6 stud hubs and are salisbury origin. As they are salisbury type they are indeed much stronger than rover but have less gorund clearance than a rover diff if mounted the same due to the diff banjo being so big to acomodate the huge internals compared to Rover stuff.

They are much wider and heavier than std. Landrover axles.

Swivels are welded on.

They are very very strong .easily able to take the abuse of a tuned td5.

A few challenge cars use them

You can get disc brake conversions and arbs to fit them.

101s have salbury axles, are longer, bigger diameter and different splines, larger CVs - nothing in common with Defender. the 101 has the axles that other landrovers should have had.

ENVs were only used in the very first prototype which was very much based on the series 2 FC and even had a different body to the final 101. That proptype was not a success and changes led to the 101 we have now.

arbs to fit them.

Standard ARB lockers will not fit - standard Defender Sals ARBs can be made to fit but you have to get new side gears made that will fit the 101 axles. Broaching the original ARB side gears to fit the 101 axles can be done but the side gears are then too weak and are prone to failure.

Thanks for the replies much appreciated.

Any ideas how much difference in width there is, will one definately not fit from a defender with the right offset rims etc?

Where can I get a replacement 101 axle from?

Or what are the options if the swivels need replacing?

Grind out the pitting with a Dremel or similar, thoroughly clean with solvent and fill with metallic epoxy resin and sand down, it's what most owners do.

101 axles come up on ebay plus I think Nick Kaye may have some, expect to pay around £750 for a crated one though.

Some 101 owners have fitted Defender axles to give disc braking and a wider choice of rim but I think it's a retrograde step. Obviously changes the ratios as well, 101 axles are 1:5.57

Grind out the pitting with a Dremel or similar, thoroughly clean with solvent and fill with metallic epoxy resin and sand down, it's what most owners do.

101 axles come up on ebay plus I think Nick Kaye may have some, expect to pay around £750 for a crated one though.

Some 101 owners have fitted Defender axles to give disc braking and a wider choice of rim but I think it's a retrograde step. Obviously changes the ratios as well, 101 axles are 1:5.57

Thanks for the info, can I ask who Nick Kaye is please and how do I contact him?

Ok the width is 58.6" for the Defender and 60" for the 101 so not allot in it, as you've probably gathered a new axle is required or options to replace the swivels on a 101 so any help would be appreciated.

I do have a pair of 101 swivel balls that I cut off and welded Series bolt flanges to, and presumably they could be re chromed when required. Any half competent machinest could do this for you and is a recommended mod if fitting to a Defender, because the 101 pinion really needs to be tilted up to more or less replicate the pinion angle of a RR/Defender front diff to avoid bad propshaft vibrations and short universal joint service life.

Nick Kaye is one man that I am extremely jealous of for his large collection of cross country toys. I met Nick and friend Richard Watton briefly some years ago during their Melbourne stopover on their way to Alice Springs to buy a 101 vehicle complete with powered trailer, which they shipped back over to the UK.

He wouldn't remember me, but if anyone here knows him, or Richard, tell him Anthony's mate Bill says Hi.

You'll never totally get rid of 101 propshaft overrun rumble, tilting diffs and using double carden props lessens it, most of us just live with it. it is frightening first time you hear it, you think the axle is going to explode!

Fitting a GKN 2015 series front prop cures the UJ issue, had the same front prop on for over 10 years now with no wear. Both props do run at silly angles though.

You'll never totally get rid of 101 propshaft overrun rumble, tilting diffs and using double carden props lessens it, most of us just live with it. it is frightening first time you hear it, you think the axle is going to explode!

Fitting a GKN 2015 series front prop cures the UJ issue, had the same front prop on for over 10 years now with no wear. Both props do run at silly angles though.

I do beg to differ.101 front propshaft vibration is intolerable for the distances we tend to travel in OZ. Years ago when the OZ military disposed of their 101 Rapier vehicles and some were purchased by long distance overlanders, I modified 3 front axle assemblies by pulling the axle tubes out and tilting the diff 17 degrees for standard height suspension. This totally cured vibration on drive/overrun and in between. I recently spoke to the recipient of the first axle, who reported that he has covered over 200,000 outback km on the original front propshaft with only a single change of universal joints. Despite my concern that vibrations may re appear once the springs have settled a bit, he reported that it is as smooth as ever even though the vehicle sit aroud 2'' lower than standard due to fitting a heavy camper body and front mounted pto winch.