Series 2A & 3 capstan winches

Normbourne

there is a another type of drive as well which uses a 3pin dog on the front of the crank , but still basically the same , IIRC you use rivnuts to mount the plate to front cross member and then bolts under lip of front bumper . Dont try using nylon or synthetic rope with it . ;)

Congrats! A real gem of a winch, really underestimated IMO. My Dad has one on his 88". Super easy, and safe to operate, pulls like a bull and easy to maintain and keep tidy looking. Sure it's no good for competition, but a damn sight better than a Chinese electric thing, and for the same money.

My Dad runs synthetic winch rope on his, no prob's whatsoever. In reality you don't have to let it slip on the drum long enough for it to melt, then you're doing something wrong.

Dont try using nylon or synthetic rope with it . ;)

Three strand 22mm nylon anchor warp is fine for this. No stretch and very strong. Wrap three times around the capstan and it will grip without problems. This has been standard practice on boats and ships for decades (capstans are used as normal practice).

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

As regards my winch, I'm attempting to pos a pic, as you can see, it doesn't appear to be similar to the l/Rover winches, but

I have been assured that it came off a L /Rover. Can anyone I. D.it,

Thanks lads,

Norm.

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photos/104444397514208409897/album/5926581700256634577?authkey=CM3JmvCI8O6acA

Looks industrial.

IMAG2216.jpg

IMAG2217.jpg

Going by the rusty iron gear housing and drive shaft it could be a marine winch. Norm, when you say you "snagged'' this, were you fishing at the time? ;)

Could still be adapted to a Landrover crankshaft though. A bit heavier than a genuine LR capstan which has an alloy worm gear housing.

Before you go to all the trouble of mounting I should work out what the drive ratio is , as it will need to be close or lower geared than the genuine LR version , (aeroparts was 75:1) otherwise it will just stall the engine before gtting an apreciable level of pull . It looks a bit heavier duty than the genuine LR (either version) going by the drive coupling . JMHO

OK lads, here we go..! It is not a marine winch, secondly it came off a land rover, so there isn't a problem in terms of ratio, strength etc.

And no, I don't go fishing..! (cheeky so & so)

It's in beaut condition, very much like a woman, in that the rust is skin deep only, but beneath all that, it's in perfect condition...!

The problem I have it's that I want to retain the ability to start the engine via a crank handle, accordingly, the mounting of the unit may present some some problems.

I was hoping to drive it via a hydraulic system powered through the PTO

Norm.

Are you intending to fit this winch to a series LandRover with a standard engine ?. You can crank start the engine with the standard LandRover capstan winch. I can't see why you should be able to with that one too id you fit a crank dog to the front of the wormshaft.

PS. Are there a lot of rusty women in North Queensland ? Must be due to all the time they spend at the beach.

Are you intending to fit this winch to a series LandRover with a standard engine ?. You can crank start the engine with the standard LandRover capstan winch. I can't see why you should be able to with that one too id you fit a crank dog to the front of the wormshaft.

Yes series L/R with standard engine.

I will check the possibility of fitting a starter dog to the worm shaft, hadn't thought of that...!

Thank you,

Norm.

you dont show a pic of the non drive side , but on the "Land rover approved" capstans there is a starting handle dog . It may well have come off a landrover , do you know what they used it for , could have been for hauling a bucket up out of a shaft ? not necessarily self extraction out of a salt lake ! Have you worked out the ratio as a matter of interest :)

On the opposite side to the output shaft, there is a removal plate, which I believe, gives one access to the worm back end bearing, whether it will be possible to fit a starting dog remains to be seen.

I confirm that it is a worm wheel and pinion drive, at least, according to the physical layout. I don't think that there would be a problem in turning the engine over, in that it readily turns by hand from the output shaft.

As regards its manufacture, it is proving to be somewhat of an enigma, there are no factory markings apart from a number which I think is just a casting number....?

No, I don't have the mounting plate.

As regards a hydraulic drive, the rub here is finding out what sort and size for the pump & motor. Any ideas lads....?

Norm.