the 'camel crease' - variation on a theme...

ronnie_rotten

I've seen some tidy camel cuts before, but have always thought that the sane result could be achieved by folding the rear wing round and leaving a more 'factory' finish. Not by me, you understand, I'm a pioneer, not a craftsman! So equipped with inadequate tools and a hang over, I set too it...

First I cut up the corner of the original cold with a jigsaw. The hacksaw was blunt and taking too long.

Next I took an adjustable spanner, gripped the edge rear of the cut and twisted it in a bit. I repeated this at intervals up to the top of the cut. I forgot to take pictures of this bit. I was having so much fun.

I held a good solid piece of steel into the back of the corner I had created and gently pounded it into a contour to match the original wing. I started with rubber hammer and finished with a claw hammer. Cos I'm impatient. And rough.

I pinned the 2 pieces with a tech screw and then applied seam sealant to smooth out the join. I'll tidy this up at tomorrow once this lot had set.

As the rest of the wing was corroded. I trimmed and put a length of ally on to strengthen it. Couldn't find my rivets, so the tech screw's reared their ugly head. Again.

Overall, I'm quite pleased. It still needs tidying, but as far as quick rough jobs go, this isn't my worst ever!

You know when you first posted this I stared and stared and couldn't see what you had done, obviously I could see the seam sealer and the screw but I couldn't see the difference. Now it's dawned on me, but I guess that it is a good thing that I couldn't see it straight away .... must mean it still looks factory :)

Why was this done ??? is this to improve the exit angle ?? I've never had a problem there as I dont gp out of my way to try to climb mountains - my other question is - isnt it compulsary to have rear mudflaps in the UK? it is over hear on Oz - no more than 1/3 of the rear tyre should be visable from behind and anyone following you out here on a dirt road would be very, very, very verbal with you if they were behind you and you were throwing rocks and grit at them off your rear wheels. I have sheets of plastic fixed to my mudflaps to make them wider and lower to further reduce throw-up.

Anything larger than say 245/70/16 will catch on the rear section of the guard cutting the tyre damaging the panel, the camel cut as its usually referred as removes the offending edge.

In below pic i'm running 265/70/16's on a 3" lift which would have caught the guard off road.

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

Mine looks like this

rusty05-09-13005_zps80ae4d54.jpg

And that is shod with 235/85-16 tyres and standard suspension, that was with only a slight bit of articulation, although I will be going for a 2" lift for no other reason than to give a little better clearance when articulating.

Here it is only compulsory for commercial vehicles to have mud flaps.

• 2 years later...

The pictures I took are rubbish to be fair,and I didn't take enough while doing it.

I basically wanted to get the same enlargement of wheel arch as a camel cut but without the front modified edge being sheer and sharp. Hence cutting up the 'corner' of the arch, folding the half inch or so behind it inwards and screwing the 2 together. Enlarged arch without a sharp edge.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I would hazard a guess, and it is just a guess, that the body needs to hang below a specific point of the tyre diameter for a flap to be un-necessary, and I'd further guess at the point being the centre of the hub.  That would explain why so many SUVs don't have them but lorries, vans, Defenders and Jeeps do.