Building a Workshop

Retroanaconda

Thanks gents. I'm really pleased with it now it's nearly done. Has cost me a shed-load of cash and taken far longer than I had hoped but worth it all in the end I think :)

The building is all but sealed now yes Ross. I still need to put the last bit of external cladding on the rear wall and then fit the fascias/gutters but that'll be it. Think I'll build a better personnel door too in the same framed/ledger style as the vehicle doors - should be stronger and more resistant to attack.

• 1 year later...

This deserves an update a year and a bit on from the last one. I finally got the rear fascias on in the summer which then allowed me to install the guttering right round the building before the onset of this winter.

post-10578-0-24487600-1454175750_thumb.jpgpost-10578-0-33244200-1454175752_thumb.jpg

post-10578-0-70769400-1454175728_thumb.jpgpost-10578-0-15434900-1454175754_thumb.jpgpost-10578-0-37230000-1454175756_thumb.jpg

The building has continued to be most useful, I was able to carry out a clutch change and a load of other work on a week off from work despite atrocious weather - which was after all the main aim of building it.

post-10578-0-54561900-1454176190_thumb.jpgpost-10578-0-81591900-1454176193_thumb.jpg

There's still a bit of work to be done, I need to make a new personnel door for example but it's pretty much there :)

Very well Done - good reading.

Nothing beats having a covered workshop when works needs done and you have to swim outside under your Land Rover...

I have a temp. ABRI for the horses and sitting at 1,500 Ft. we get our share of wind. I have used 4 IBC (the plastic 1,000 ltr. pallet tanks) to secure the thing. If the wind takes off with 4 tonnes of anchors, I recon anything will go..

If the good people on this forum are interested, I can start a workshop build tread....

Having left behind a 560 M2 heated etc. workshop in Holland when we moved to France, I have now finally taken back from the horses the beginning of a workshop.

Next week I start building the 13 x 6.5 mtrs. ABRI for said horses, to be followed by the 26 x 6.5 mtrs. ABRI for firewood, hay & 3 Land Rovers.. And I really, really plan to put the 4-poster ramp in there I took with me from Holland. Once the hay has a new place to be stored, I can take over the next bit and enlarge the workshop to 11 x 8 mtrs. Concrete floor, 3-phase but no heating. Yet..

ABRI is the French word used to describe a 3-sided & roofed building used on farms etc. for storage. Not sure what the English word is though. Sorry.

OK - If more people are interested, I'll try to get some work done and get started on the tread.

Building France as a Dutchman is interesting at times...... :mellow:

Took 48 hrs. to get the building permit.

OK - If more people are interested, I'll try to get some work done and get started on the tread.

Building France as a Dutchman is interesting at times...... :mellow:

Took 48 hrs. to get the building permit.

LOL that is impressive.... it took my council 2 weeks to get back to me to say "because of my rural zoning, I do not require a permit to build an implement shed" so two weeks to learn I didn't need to ask

I'd be interested to see, I've been reading all the shed build threads and DIY stuff to plan mine.... alot of the reg's differ but different people have different ideas things that I'd never have thought of

When we bought this place, I was told I could build about 3.300 M2 of barns before needing an exempt.....

That's a lot of barn...

They are different the French and that is part of the fun living here.

Being Dutch, we have to be very careful to stick to the law as much as we can but in general we are having not too many problems. The 109" cherry picker was used a few times around neighbours to cut trees etc. before it went and that must have done some good.

And the Mrs. driving around in an 8x8 no doubt helps... :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

LOL that is impressive.... it took my council 2 weeks to get back to me to say "because of my rural zoning, I do not require a permit to build an implement shed" so two weeks to learn I didn't need to ask

I'd be interested to see, I've been reading all the shed build threads and DIY stuff to plan mine.... alot of the reg's differ but different people have different ideas things that I'd never have thought of

It only took my council a week to answer my question about which was the principle elevation on the house - corner plot so while I know which it is there is room for argument.

The helpful planning development dept. told me that if I give them 85 quid and fill in a form they'd tell me.

Now as its for a garden shed that seems a little excessive and to my mind if I stick the shed at the side where I was going to put it anyway and then report myself they'll investigate and give me an answer for nowt.

• Like 1

"Tis often easier to ask for forgiveness than permission......" lol

I'm just glad for my situation.... we have different levels of permission, this allows us the ability to even apply for things that are not allowed or past the levels for the regional plan this is why I asked.... catch is if I had been required to apply for one of these it could cost more than the shed I planned to build with an odds on chance they would say no.... got to love bureaucracy, how did we ever exist without it..

• 3 weeks later...

This deserves an update a year and a bit on from the last one. I finally got the rear fascias on in the summer which then allowed me to install the guttering right round the building before the onset of this winter.

attachicon.gif10915284_10153124659713706_5917583062925997347_n.jpgattachicon.gif11752624_10153574055673706_6391460444699083236_n.jpg

attachicon.gif12096450_10153773808543706_5549310349279862261_n.jpgattachicon.gif12074567_10153773808603706_1211823026204354659_n.jpgattachicon.gif12088578_10153773808653706_7187957196167676863_n.jpg

The building has continued to be most useful, I was able to carry out a clutch change and a load of other work on a week off from work despite atrocious weather - which was after all the main aim of building it.

attachicon.gif12642461_10154025847748706_5480508079782808187_n.jpgattachicon.gif12661957_10154025847783706_3249142038434569907_n.jpg

There's still a bit of work to be done, I need to make a new personnel door for example but it's pretty much there :)

Wow, that looks amazing :) I wish I had somewhere of that size to finish my rebuild :(

Wow, that looks amazing :) I wish I had somewhere of that size to finish my rebuild :(

Thanks Kimberly.

As always, it's not big enough. Changed the rear brakes on the 90 yesterday and it was a bit tight width-wise getting the half shafts out. Though come the time when there isn't a big pile of bits of 110 down one side this problem won't exist I am hoping.

I'm guessing you are the same Kimberly I've seen doing the TD5 build on FB, if so you seem to be managing pretty well without James' luxuries ..... in fact you've made far more progress than James! :) Congrats on your first start the other day!

Thanks Kimberly.

As always, it's not big enough. Changed the rear brakes on the 90 yesterday and it was a bit tight width-wise getting the half shafts out. Though come the time when there isn't a big pile of bits of 110 down one side this problem won't exist I am hoping.

It's always the way isn't it. You think it looks fine untill you start putting things inside it, still larger than the garage I've been using, mustn't complain, it's better than nothing :D

I'm guessing you are the same Kimberly I've seen doing the TD5 build on FB, if so you seem to be managing pretty well without James' luxuries ..... in fact you've made far more progress than James! :) Congrats on your first start the other day!

I am indeed :) Thank you though, dead pleased with it, hopefully start making some progress on the bodywork over the next couple weeks!

Just short of 14' Ross.

Is that the same build I've seen on the MIG welding forum? That ones certainly further along than mine!

Just short of 14' Ross.

Is that the same build I've seen on the MIG welding forum? That ones certainly further along than mine!

Yeah you've got it :) My td5 Lou! :), I was going to upload to here but its a pain, you end up needing a third party image uploading thing I think ? Much nicer just to do it straight to the forum :)

Yeah you've got it :) My td5 Lou! :), I was going to upload to here but its a pain, you end up needing a third party image uploading thing I think ? Much nicer just to do it straight to the forum :)

You can upload them to the forum. Personally though I just use an third party one. Means I can more easily upload on the go to the Photobucket app.

You can upload them to the forum. Personally though I just use an third party one. Means I can more easily upload on the go to the Photobucket app.

I tried and didn't get it. I do upload mostly from my phone to save time too hence why it's easier to go straight onto the forum.

It's a nice build, you've done good work so far.

I can upload off my iPad or iPhone straight to the forum (using Chrome app as a browser), seems to work ok as long as the file size isn't over 1.95mb - this does preclude most modern digital photos unfortunately. I've often got around this by uploading to Facebook (which auto-resizes) and then re-saving back to the iPad. The resulting much smaller JPEG is then easily uploaded to the forum.

It's a nice build, you've done good work so far.

I can upload off my iPad or iPhone straight to the forum (using Chrome app as a browser), seems to work ok as long as the file size isn't over 1.95mb - this does preclude most modern digital photos unfortunately. I've often got around this by uploading to Facebook (which auto-resizes) and then re-saving back to the iPad. The resulting much smaller JPEG is then easily uploaded to the forum.

I did just notice I can now post pics now my account doesn't need aproval to post, I may try post but I can't re post the whole blog, I know it's around 1000 photos so far haha, I may start a small one on here when I get something more substantial done :)