Santana PS10 parts - Landy cross over bits?

Chicken Drumstick

Just been reading up on the Santana PS10 over lunch. And something mentioned on different forums/websites is parts supply. Evidently as Santana no longer exist, any bespoke parts might be hard to get hold of. But which ones exactly?

I'm lead to believe the engine is a 2.8 Iveco unit, so I assume filters and the like are the same as vans that use this engine.

Gearbox is the LT85, which is no worse off than running a 1980's V8 Ninety.

What about brakes? Will Defender brake discs/pads fit, or are these from Iveco of unique to the PS10?

Same sort of thing with shocks and axle/steering parts? Can you buy bushes or track rod ends easily enough for them or things like wheel bearings?

Yep, run parabolics. Personally don't think this is a bad thing, and the vids on YouTube seem to show them having more front flex than a standard coil 90/110 does.

What I know so far:

-109" wheelbase, based on the 109, although how similar the chassis is I don't know.

-cheap plastic interior

-no seat boxes, just open seat rails

-LT85 gearbox (the Iveco branded Massive from 2007 used a 6 speed box, don't think available in the UK)

-5 door or pick up made

-rear door and load bay wide enough to accept a Euro pallet

-2.8 Iveco engine with more power/torque than a Td5

-KamDiffs made the rear diff and shafts or something along those lines. Optional rear locker or LSD is talked about

-Think they use an LT230 transfer box, but somehow run 4x2 in high range

-parabolic leaf springs, which I've read offer around a 2" lift vs a Defender

-Looks like the same door frame/skin as a Landy but with different handles and locks

Best feature in my view is the door handles! Far less prone to getting knocked off by errant trees/fence posts than the current Defender affair and they can be opened with a finger whilst carrying stuff which a Defender's can't easily owing to the need to both push and pull if you know what I mean.

The brake calipers are from a Mercedes van 208, if I remember correctly. Not sure about the discs. the axles are basically series 3, but wider. As said, engine, box and gearbox are readily available and so are the springs.

This guy used to sell the brakes and springs, but has now changed over to his own versions. Surely he has bits left over or knows where to get them.

http://www.heystee-automotive.com/

I am not nessecarely a fan of the car, but it would make a great base to rebuild a series lwb.

Daan

Back in 2004 i had the opportunity to visit the Santana factory in Linares. They where assembling the MoD vehicles at the time (sorry, no pictures where allowed inside facilities). Early models used LT85, later ones ZF six speeds (as in Iveco Daily). When it was sold as Iveco Massif, local IVECO garaje was unable to obtain spares.

Body was constructed in steel (not aluminium) and they had cleverly reworked the Defender/Series V body to give better leg room for rear passengers and wider rear door.

Need parts? Try ESTANFI http://www.estanfi.com/esp/index.php. They are part of the BRITPART group, and approved "Land-Rover Santana" and "Santana Motor" continuity parts suplier (suposedly they took over all parts from Santana for both old series and Aníbal/PS10).

The brake calipers are from a Mercedes van 208, if I remember correctly. Not sure about the discs. the axles are basically series 3, but wider. As said, engine, box and gearbox are readily available and so are the springs.

This guy used to sell the brakes and springs, but has now changed over to his own versions. Surely he has bits left over or knows where to get them.

http://www.heystee-automotive.com/

I am not nessecarely a fan of the car, but it would make a great base to rebuild a series lwb.

Daan

I was looking at fitting a ps10 front axle to my current project but quickly discounted the idea as the discs appear to be unobtainable. The callipers and pads are I believe used on a number of mercs & Peugeots depending on age but discs? A lot of people with the old t.i.console conversions now can't get replacements.....

So were the discs bespoke items built by Santana then? Wonder if you could retro fit some normal LR discs on, or even change the hub.

Yes why not, i grafted coiler brake bits and hub parts onto a series axles to achieve discs, so it is do-able, its more of 'how much effort you would want to put into doing it'

I would love to have the engine and box from one, they seem to be good units, maybe as an upgrade from the 200? (not cause i have any complaints)

G

We have a firm over here called Disc Brakes Australia DBA that can cast any disc rotor to sample. Doesn't the UK have a similar firm?

I'm sure similar can be done in the UK. Although my hunch is, it might not be worth the cost unless you are very lucky to find someone willing to do it for a sensible price.

Yes there are companies that will manufacture discs, there's one in north Worcestershire that makes them for race cars & classics that could do it.

It wasn't just the availability of discs that put me off but also other future issues such as replacement shafts as I believe they are a different length to standard series shafts? The front axle is a land rover style but a couple inches wider.

The rear axle shouldn't be a problem for spares as I think it's a Dana 60 or similar.

• 9 years later...