Knot Booklet

75RR

Hi,

I have been working on a knot book for a while now, just finished it and i would like to share it.

I own a 1975 Range Rover myself, which is how I got into knots, I always carry some rope in the back.

The Booklet is distributed under the Creative Commons License. So no charge.

Not sure in which section to post it.

I attach link so you may have a look.

http://goo.gl/c9dGuU

Regards

75RR

• Like 1

Minor corrections implemented:

Page 6 added the letter “r” to: manufacturer

Page 15 added missing bracket to: (ABoK # 1800)

Page 24 added missing “be” to: allow the rope to be cut

Page 27 added “as does the Figure Eight Loop, (see Fig. 24a and 24b)” to:

the Flemish Bend description.

Please report any typos/errors, they will be corrected

I have a bit of a blind spot for knots, regardless of how much I practice I struggle to remember any knot I learn for more than a few days.

Consequently, I can be kept amused for hours learning a new one... or an old one again :blush:

Looks like a useful selection to me, and I certainly appreciate the effort that went into it. Thanks! :)

Hi disco2hse,

figures are in sequence and are to be viewed as a natural progression.

If a figure is referenced within the text, it is to draw particular attention to it,

as in Fig.14 which shows the structure of the Waggoner's Hitch more clearly than Fig. 13 (a more traditional Wagonner's Hitch) does.

Thanks for yor comment.

75RR

Hi disco2hse,

figures are in sequence and are to be viewed as a natural progression.

If a figure is referenced within the text, it is to draw particular attention to it,

as in Fig.14 which shows the structure of the Waggoner's Hitch more clearly than Fig. 13 (a more traditional Wagonner's Hitch) does.

Thanks for yor comment.

75RR

Right, I see your thinking now… but a reader might be confused :)

It is in such cases that another sentence is useful to just say what is going on.

Had a quick look through, couldn't see a running bowline, apologies if its in there and I missed it tho :)

Quite right. No Running Bowline.

In my defence I would like to point out that this is a Knot Booklet as opposed to a Knot Book.

Choices had to be made.

• 4 months later...

Not sure if ebooks have new editions or just get updates. Calling it 2.0

Changes include adding the following knots: Water Knot, Carrick Bend, Highwayman's Hitch and Tumble Hitch.
Also added drawings of the Constrictor Knot in the Bight and the Shear Lashing,
+ drawings showing how to join Slings and Recovery Straps and a little info/drawing on Slipped Hitches.
Have also polished the text a little.

Link on first post updated to this version.

Let me know what you think.

That's a great little assortment of knots! I'm becoming more and more of a knot nerd of late. Recently I've found the Dragon knot and the Moth (a bit like an alpine butterfly), both of which have a sort of elegance to the way you tie them.

I've been trying to remember the Spanish Bowline for ages, and seeing it in there has reminded me of it, and removed a nagging frustration that's been with me for months! A handy little publication, thanks.

• 2 years later...