diff lock on transfer box

Help

i have attached a drawing showing the hilighted dog clutch (not sure of the name) on a defender transfer box, if this was damaged then would that mean i can not engage diff lock on my transfer box?

also if this is damaged is it a hard job to replace?

as always any help would be great

dog clutch transfer box.pdf

Have you tried just engaging it on the box itself without using the linkage from the lever, or are you trying it directly on the box? If you can engage it without the linkage being involved then it might just need the linkage messing about with.

It's just a thought.

I can't see how it would get damaged, as this selector fork is only operated by a spring. The spring sort of makes it pre-select. And the Dog clutch tends to be a 'doesn't stay engaged' sort of a problem if it is damaged. So I'd tend to think the problem is before the selector fork?

Team Idris

the weekend before i found the diff lock wouldnt stay in place kept jumping out of diff lock, so i got the part numbers from Ralph and relaced the link arm and made sure everything was working in the gargage

offroading last weekend when i engagaed what i thought was diff lock, the high low will now not move, its stuck either in low or diff????

i havent had a chance to look at it yet to find out why

Can anyone help

as i said i am having problems getting into diff lock

before the last offroad event i changed the rod assembly and checked the lever was operating and in the garage i was able to select low and diff lock

last weekend at the event i now i think i am stuck in low box and when trying to operate the lever it will not move from low to diff, the gear/diff gear knob moves from side to side so that part of the transfer box operates

i am thinking that the internal parts of the low/diff are either broken or jammed in low, i have not yet stripped out the floor to look.

so if the above description means i can not select diff lock what would cause this? if i change the top housing would this fix the problem? if it is inside the transfer box for example the dog clutch can i change this while the transfer box is in place (i dont think i can so just asking)

as i do offraod events i can not be without diff lock or even worry if it will engage or not when i would need it so any info would be a great help.

last question would a defender transfer box 1.6 ratio be better for offroading events?

many thanks and sorry for the long post

Bit confused here... you are in low range without diff lock in, and cannot select anything else? Or just nothing is happening when you move the selector?

Selector lever works as follows:

Low range ---------------------- Low range

Diff lock Without diff lock

| |

| |

| |

Neutral -------------------------- Neutral

| |

| |

| |

High range ------------------- High range

Diff lock Without diff lock

To answer your transfer box ratio question, unless you are doing high speed events it will make no difference. The ratio only effects high range, low range is the same between the 1.2 1.4 1.6 boxes etc

Edited by jackmac

Maybe I have not worded the post to reflect the problem

1) I think my high/low is stuck in what’s know as high range diff lock, ie over to the left and back

2) I cannot get it to go into low range diff lock ie over to the left and forward.

In fact it’s stuck and will not for now come out of the position it’s in.

Before on a previous event it also stuck, then I carried out the normal checks for example the linkage making sure it worked, as I said in the garage it all operated.

However last weekend again it appears stuck/jammed in the over to the left and back position. I have not had time to strip it again and investigate as i am back at work, just doing some research to get ideas what to look for when i get back home and start working on the issue

What I was wondering is it possible that the dog clutch has been jammed? Or the teeth stripped off the end?

I had thought the transfer box 1.6 ratio would be for high speed as I am aware that all disco and defender transfer box low ratios are the same, but many thanks for clarify this.

Defender ratio: 1:410-Normal

Disco ratio: 1:222-Higher

M.O.D. ratio on early 110/90(before defender) 1:666-very low

From what I had explained to me a while ago when I went to the Dunsfold open day was that the higher the number on the ratio sticker on the box the lower speed the vehicle fitted with it will do.

hth

John

• 4 weeks later...

I have have tried all three ratio boxes in various land rovers and the best for use with oversize tyres and off-roading is indeed the 1.4 as fitted to 90/defenders. With the 1.6 it screams out for another gear and the 1.2 is just to high for road use with 265/31" tyres.

In my current hybrid I'm running a 1.4 ratio mated to a auto powered by a 3.9 and it hunts like mad between gears if I don't keep the revs constant. I am also plagued with the transfer box either sticking in low or high and even jumping out and I've tried resetting the linkage to get more movement. Have tried changing between high and low In neutral, park with no difference. Lots of metallic noises when it jumps out and I have to force it in.

Welcome any thoughts before I pull it and drop in a spare, which does move between hi low on the bench when turning the drive flange.

Dump the oil. take the rectangular inspection plate off and have a good look around. Centre diffs take a hammering when people go off roading and just spin the wheels up whilst in diff lock. I see people do it all the time - if we get warranty returns on lt230s its because of this. Take a look inside yours and atleast you'll have a better idea of what happening inside.

Good luck

Shabs @ Syncro Gearboxes

http://www.syncrogearboxes.com

Dump the oil. take the rectangular inspection plate off and have a good look around. Centre diffs take a hammering when people go off roading and just spin the wheels up whilst in diff lock. I see people do it all the time - if we get warranty returns on lt230s its because of this. Take a look inside yours and atleast you'll have a better idea of what happening inside.

Good luck

Shabs @ Syncro Gearboxes

http://www.syncrogearboxes.com

There is even an interview with Dave Ashcroft (IIRC) on YouTube that states the same - majority of LT230 failures arise from over-generous right foot when the vehicle has lost traction.

I seems like your problem is related more to hi-lo selection than to diff lock selection. As suggeted, drain the diff and have a look, especially at the hi-lo selector fork and selector sleeve/hub. The sleeve/hug should move easily to allow you to change gear.