Suprise Suprise Megasquirt Edis 8 no spark

PeteMck

It has to do a full revolution to find the missing tooth to get the timing, my tuner studio has a sync light at the bottom which goes out when it's found it but I can't see it on yours. Maybe that's to do with it?

Is the cable shielded?

I remember from having Flapper it used to like a fast crank, didn't realise ms liked it too. maybe it's the starter or bad connections from starter to battery. You could try putting a direct live and earth to rule it out and a button for the crank?

Nige - will do that tomoz morning asap. tuner studio recognises that there is firmware on there (dont know if thats relevant). Not that im doubting your knowledge at all, i just want to learn, but i was under the impression that the edis unit could create a spark without the ms ecu connected or have i mis-read something / got confused somewhere along the line.

Reckless - will double check the plug, found in my searching that someone had had a problem with the plug so checked mine and seems to be ok but will double check.

Cynic - the cable is indeed shielded. Could be a faulty starter, cable from battery to starter is brand new and something like 10mm maybe 12mm thick so reckon that its not the cable :D earth to chassis from battery is same stuff. The engine itself has a regular rpm and once the initial spike picked up by tuner studio the rpm stays pretty much the same the numbers dart around between 170 and 200 to quick to read them properly really.

All - what do i have to do to generate the rpm graph in tuner studio? got the guage home page bit :D

Are you sure that the VR sensor is properly connected?

Checking the continuity of the wires from the EDIS to the VR connector is not enough, if the pins inside the connector have been damaged by the number of times you have removed the wires.

I checked the VR sensor by removing the VR harness and inserting a piece of plastic between the pins, and then connecting two test leads to the sensor. When the engine was cranked a consistent AC voltage was shown on the muti-meter. At this point I finally twigged what the problem was, because I new that I had good continuity in the VR harness, so therefore it had to be the connection between the sensor and the harness that was faulty.

Good luck - faults like this can be maddening,

Cheers Charlie

Fuel Pump is a priming and you have VR signal ^^^ so what he says ....

Check the MSQ is in there, open up the VE Tables and spark table 1 and post up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MSQs can corrupt sometimes

Nige

Got VE Table 1

post-11072-0-69765400-1395225096_thumb.jpg

And found 2 tables called Spark table 1 so heres both. :)

post-11072-0-27300700-1395225073_thumb.jpgpost-11072-0-35680800-1395225109_thumb.jpg

Onto which pin? Should be pin 7.

yup, goes to pin 7 :S

Are you sure that the VR sensor is properly connected?

Checking the continuity of the wires from the EDIS to the VR connector is not enough, if the pins inside the connector have been damaged by the number of times you have removed the wires.

I checked the VR sensor by removing the VR harness and inserting a piece of plastic between the pins, and then connecting two test leads to the sensor. When the engine was cranked a consistent AC voltage was shown on the muti-meter. At this point I finally twigged what the problem was, because I new that I had good continuity in the VR harness, so therefore it had to be the connection between the sensor and the harness that was faulty.

Good luck - faults like this can be maddening,

Cheers Charlie

Cable and plug all new and seems to be making a good connection though will double check. would be good if that is it :D

EDIS that i ordered off of fleabay just arrived and we have a spark!!!!!!! :D now just gotta see if the engine runs :s probably be back in in 5 mins trying to work out why it wont start now it has a spark but there we go.

ok, so now i have a spark, the fuel pump is whining away sending fuel, ive checked the leads go to the right plugs, the wires are the correct way round for the coils and the sensor is 5 teeth behind the gap.

Any suggestions? or screen shots etc that would be helpfull?

ok, it goes pipe out of tank --> in line filter --> external pump (only has power and earth terminals) --> pressure regulator --> fuel rail

dont think plugs are wet, took one out to check i still had a spark and it seems that i do. when the plugs out at least. lol.

Right tried turning it over again. This time as its turning over it coughs and the rpm drops as though something has forced it to slow down if that makes sense, then it picks back up and does it again. Does that a few time then just carries on turning over normally. Obvs dont wanna turn it over to much incase i screw the starter. lol.

also noticed, if you turn the ignition on and off a couple of times before starting and get the fuel pump to runs it priming cycle a couple of time it will make a bang when you first crank it but thats the only time it seems to do it. dont know if that helps at all.

I'm assuming the timing hasn't been properly set / trimmed yet as it's not run, in which case you could probably try with a fixed value in megatune, something like 6 or even 0:

(Set "fixed angle" to 0 and "trim" to 0, remember to set "fixed" back to "-10" when you've done tinkering to make it use the spark map)

spark_settings.png