Suprise Suprise Megasquirt Edis 8 no spark

PeteMck

ok, it goes pipe out of tank --> in line filter --> external pump (only has power and earth terminals) --> pressure regulator --> fuel rail

dont think plugs are wet, took one out to check i still had a spark and it seems that i do. when the plugs out at least. lol.

erm...that doesn't sound right !

On Rover V8s the PRV is built into the Rail and the rear, and the fuel return comes off that.

Some pick will help

Are you not using a RR in tank pump ?. Some pumps are suck and some push, some require a head of fuel to work, if you mix then up wrong they

don't work...

May not be the pump / Plumbing / prv but it just doesn't sound quite right to me at the moment ??

PICS !

Nige

ok. knew i should have stuck with the 300tdi. lol. The fuel pump is an aftermarket injection pump. i was advised it was better to get a pump that had a high pressure output than the required 36-37psi and stick it through a regulator then onto rail. Can easily bypass the regulator if not needed :D not using rr pump as using completely different tank. will see if i can get the pics off my phone

fridge - no the timing hasnt been done properly yet. Can only dream of the day that is done. lol

Fuel rail.pdf

In this here you can see the 2 x pipes into the fuel rail, 1 is fuel in and one is return with the PRV which controls the pressures.

Easiest Pump is a Range Rover classic one, cheap too, and fits in tank. You are saying your running a HP pump and through a filter first ? rare most filters are Low Pressure ...

I am not saying your wrong / just I am not convinced yet your fuelling conections are right !!

Nige

Right tried turning it over again. This time as its turning over it coughs and the rpm drops as though something has forced it to slow down if that makes sense, then it picks back up and does it again. Does that a few time then just carries on turning over normally. Obvs dont wanna turn it over to much incase i screw the starter. lol.

my p38 was doing that when i had ht leads 1 and 4 reversed.

attachicon.gifFuel rail.pdf

In this here you can see the 2 x pipes into the fuel rail, 1 is fuel in and one is return with the PRV which controls the pressures.

Easiest Pump is a Range Rover classic one, cheap too, and fits in tank. You are saying your running a HP pump and through a filter first ? rare most filters are Low Pressure ...

I am not saying your wrong / just I am not convinced yet your fuelling conections are right !!

Nige

ok, well ill try removing the regulator and see what happens. filter is a high flow filter and yer it goes through that first.

The pump does throw a lot of fuel out when priming (might have accidently left the earth on the pump and the pipe off) and the guage on the first regulator says its at about 2.5bar if that makes any difference. ill try it without the regulator.

Not entirely sure whats what in that photo, is the pressure regulator the round thing bottom left that looks a bit like a filter king type regulator?

If so what are the other two at the top. One looks like a filter?

I have this type of pump which runs fine but it has to be near the tank and have a pre filter before and a filter after;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APS-Universal-External-In-Line-Fuel-Injection-Pump-Bosch-0580464070-Replacement-/400524708163?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d41220943

I guess if the pressure is still good under cranking and you have it piped to the right side of the fuel rail then what you have is fine. I assume you have the top on now :) You won't regret dumping the TDi, well... until you have to go to the petrol station... again.

yer thats a similar pump to the one ive got on mine. right cylinder is filter, then its pump to the left of it and then yer the bottom left is regulator. pressure increases under cranking and then drops back down according to the gauge.

Although I'm not convinced the problem is a lack of fuel/pressure (plumbing oddities aside), I do worry that it's not common to have an external high-pressure pump that is happy drawing fuel up, especially mounted high in the engine bay. If you're not 100% certain it's designed to do that, double-check with the supplier because if it's a regular EFI pump it WILL burn out.

I don't know if the plumbing is wrong or just lost in description.

Fridge is right, most HP pumps need to be lower than the fuel supply (and close to it) or they are in tank pumps. Normally they are "pusher" pumps in that they pump fuel forward, rather than a "puller" pump that sucks it forward.

You might need a LP facet type job supplying the efi pump.

But if your pump says it should work there, forget everything I just said!

But then you might have one that is

well its 5 mins work to move it so going to stick it just after tank to be safe. :) will leave the regulator out and try adjusting the spark as per fridges suggestion and see what happens. will double check leads as well. Probs be bk in 30mins with more issues but you never no! :unsure:

Ok. So this morning ive moved the pump, just have the pressure regulator on the rail and tried the suggestion with the spark table (which actually made things worse). at the moment it sounds like theres some vauge form of something happening, change the fixed value to 0 or 6, turns over and thats it. From the amount of turning over i would have though the spark plugs would have got wet so took a couple out to check and they seem pretty to very dry. lol. There is fuel getting to the rail and making it out the fuel return. going to seem if i can get hold of a rr pump to eliminate that side of things.

Im at a loss with your problem, but maybe one of your questions i can help with. When the injectors are working you can normally physically feel them 'tapping' if you hold a small screwdriver or something to them. Though i guess you will need a mate or someone to feel for that while your turning the motor over?

is there an easy way to see if the injectors are actually delivering fuel?

You can set "fire priming pulse" to prove they work without having to crank, when you turn the ignition on the pump will run & the injectors should fire once. You could pull an injector out, aim it at the cat* and see what happens.

* = Or wife, children, etc., basically away from anything valuable.

hmm might have to do that. at the moment when you start it, it catches a couple of times then nothing. Pump i got has a maximum flow rate of 280 litres per hour, 180 litres per hour at 3 Bar apparently. Is that going to be putting enough fuel through? It about 40cm max from the tank and around 1/2 way up the side of the tank in terms of height.

What map have you started with? Is it one of nige's? The one I got off him was pretty rich so if it's turning over and not firing you should be able to smell the fuel? How old is the fuel? Also did the engine run fine before you stripped it down for megasquirt? To test the injectors I stuck them on the end of a hose pipe and applied and removed 12v (assuming they are the non resistor pack injectors) to see if they opened and closed and how they sprayed roughly then squirted wd40 through after but I wouldn't class it as the correct way to do it ;)

Does the map gauge on the laptop flicker up and down as you crank it or stay at 100?

There are a few places to set how much fuel goes in, there is the table of map against rpm and a fixed value, what are they set at?