Just fitted Ashcroft ATB centre diff!

Mr Noisy

Thanks Bowie

*sigh* yeah it does absorb all my time and money this vehicle, but tbh the finished result is always worthwhile :)

Looooooooooong job this big axle/transmission rebuild, mainly haven't got the spends for it, that's why it's taking months.

Hey ho :)

Anderzander, the difference with an ATB is not it's action when locked, but unlocked.

An open diff is, well, open - and we all know that's no good.

However, locked diffs are not diffs at all and they can introduce undesirable handling characteristics

The best land rover for performance driving would have ATBs thoroughout, they work in the reverse of a normal diff and as wheelspin occurs they mechanically send the torque the other way.

Excellent for driving on ice, snow, gravel etc, where locking the diff to reduce wheelspin would also mar handling.

I am fitting Ashlockers front and rear as I need am air locking diff for extreme off road but ideally would like ATB all round, for the automatic action, the diff sorts out the drive as required instead of the all of a locked diff or the nothing of an open diff

For me, it was a case of fit this whilst I can as I would regret not doing so in future, it is also a much stronger and longer lasting unit than OEM

For me now diff lock will be a last resort as opposed to an immediate action as soon as we hit anything not tarmac.

Yes, it is an ATB which is fabulous for all conditions and better for many conditions when you would have otherwise wanted to lock the diff, but still retains the locking function for when you know you're going to be spinning wheels.

To summarise the point of this, think of locking the diff NOT as a way of improving traction but actually something which disables the differential action, differential action which is a complicated system designed to allow power to all wheels at all times whilst allowing for differential rotation of wheels and/or Propshafts, thus maintaining good drive characteristics.

Some people don't see the point when you can "just lock the diff anyway" but in a lot of cases (for example driving country lanes in deep snow) locking the diff is actually a detrimental step, decreasing good handling characteristics in order to maximise available traction.

With an ATB fitted, you can keep the diff unlocked and it automatically sends torque to the axle that has more traction.

The downside of a Torsen type diff like this is it requires an amount of torque at each output, ie if you have a wheel in the air situation it will not be able to bias the torque. Add a dab of brakes however and it will send power the other way and you drive out.

As you may imagine, these diffs work phenomenally well with traction control systems fitted.

For my purpose, it simply means I can now drive around at pace on low traction surfaces with one less diff locked, that means more traction for me as I'm not forcing wheel slip during cornering.

Cheers :)

No but the BW out of a classic for instance

Yes they work and many prefer them

But the lt230 is more versatile, much stronger and with an ATB fitted better performing.

Plus, can you lock BW?

The quick fix for a comp safari guy is a viscous unit, the proper fix is an ATB in an lt230

Just lucky Ashcroft made this unit at sensible price, quaife version is around £1200 :o

Yeah you could prove to be right.

I am in a situation where I am not in any huge rush or budget to finish the build so I am looking to future proof things

The stock diff is an open diff and all open diffs are no good period.

It has a locking function however so that is good.

That said, whilst open it apparently has fairly serious weakness issues that may or may not rear their heads in the long term, I don't know.

As such, fitting an ATB suits my current position, will be better in all ways that stock, and is still fully lockable.

To me, this makes it a win win and something that I would have been foolish not to fit considering the vehicle is currently open endedly "in for rebuild" until all transmission weaknesses have been removed :)

Not wishing to sound like one is blowing ones own trumpet for choosing to fit this diff, but yes ATB units really are very good.

I think perhaps KAM do an ATB with locking function for the axle diff :o

That would be very swish!

When you say self locking, do you mean a Detroit?