unimog disc conversion

dirtydiesel

I converted my last set of unimog 404's to use Mercedes G wagon discs and calipers giving me a 5x130 stud pattern and the ability to fit 15" wheels.

Getting 5x130 wheels was never easy, and now nearly every wheel I have is 6x139.

So I'm making a fresh conversion to 6x139, I'm trying to push the wms as far back as possible as well. I'm still going to build to fit 15" wheels I'm just not sure on what calipers to use yet.

I needed some 6 stud discs with a shallow bell, I've chosen apec dsk900 off a hilux ln105, 302mm diameter 20mm thick.

First steps were turning all the standard wms off the unimog hub, I'm pretty sure the mog hubs are surface hardened as the outer few mm put up a fight and slowed me down a lot!

DSC_0495_zpsq3ufvvsw.jpg

DSC_0499_zps3it3hodc.jpg

DSC_0500_zpshez2hjyu.jpg

• Like 1

I recognise that hub.... I've been tripping over it in my lockup for the last 18 months ! LOL

Like the work :) Now come collect your next axle....

G

Finally someone doing something to Mog axles again! :D seemed like they had all suddenly disappeared from the face of the earth! Will be following with great interest seeing as I have the Mog/LR hybrid axles floating around, and the only thing they really need is a good disc conversion. Its just that pesky portal housing seems so big to wrap any wheel around that is less than 17".. But then again these days 17" aren't all that bad seeing as more and more 4x4 tyres are being made in this size.

Not sure how DD would do it, but I think I'd just sketch it up in Solidworks or something, print it off, cut out the holes and mark that way.

Of course measure that it hasn't accidentally printed at 99% or something...

How did you mark out/drill the wheel stud holes? Do you have an dividing table or did you do it the old fashioned way with a scribe and lots of measuring?

You just email the drawing off and the part arrives don't you? :D

• 2 months later...

Do you have any photos of your g wagon brake conversion? And description of how the new conversion will differ?

I don't have any pictures of the g wagon disc conversion, when I get chance I'll dig a portal box out and take some pics. Other than the pcd change I have pulled the wms further in closer to the portal box I also want to integrate the caliper bracket into a portal box brace.

I have made a little more progress, not much though!

DSC_0759_zpszts6czga.jpg

DSC_0764_zpsfkvfpv3p.jpg

Fascinating!

Dumb questions:

Taking that much off the hub doesn't weaken it, does it? It shouldn't as you put the strength where it's needed with the revised PCD wheel flange that you turned up.

Is that last photo the outside of the hub, where the wheel seal land is? And the studs are fitted to the disk? And finally (sorry) did you mig the revised PCD flange to the turned down hub?

I just love these threads, I learn so much!

Thanks,

'Bout time! :)

I know, I know...... too many projects, too little time!

Fascinating!

Dumb questions:

Taking that much off the hub doesn't weaken it, does it? It shouldn't as you put the strength where it's needed with the revised PCD wheel flange that you turned up.

Is that last photo the outside of the hub, where the wheel seal land is? And the studs are fitted to the disk? And finally (sorry) did you mig the revised PCD flange to the turned down hub?

I just love these threads, I learn so much!

Thanks,

No such thing as dumb questions!

Turning all the excess unimog wheel flange won't weaken the hub at all, but undoubtedly welding the new flange on is not as strong as if the hub were all all machined out of one piece.

Both pics are of the outside of the hub, the seal land is on the back of the hub.

The wheel studs are ln105 hilux the same as the discs, they are a dead fit through the disc and a press fit into the hub.

Yes I used mig, about 300 amps, 3 passes on the outside (root with 2 caps) all stop starts overlapped (i really need to make myself a positioner!), 1 pass on the inside most of which was turned away as the inner weld formed the tapered register for the disc. almost none of the outer weld was machined off.

Pressed it all together and had a trial fit in my wheels.

DSC_0768_zps9g6wnmeu.jpg

Managed to lose the portal box completely in the wheel, I should have 50mm of the outer swivel inside the tyre as well. :-)

DSC_0769_zpsu0zj7u65.jpg

Looking good, as always. Are you using a single caliper? the double caliper solution always looks a bit, well, not so factory.

On which car is this going to live? I lost track of what is in the traffic jam in front of your garage.

Daan

Some quality machining and fab as always DD , it looks like being a well sorted conversion . the calipers and mounts are

what I'm really interested to see .

Daan , the bigger 'Mogs have twin calipers all round , the second pair on the rear being for the air HB

cheers

Steveb

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 7/17/2014 at 6:45 PM, dirtydiesel said:

I don't have any pictures of the g wagon disc conversion, when I get chance I'll dig a portal box out and take some pics. Other than the pcd change I have pulled the wms further in closer to the portal box I also want to integrate the caliper bracket into a portal box brace.

I have made a little more progress, not much though!

DSC_0759_zpszts6czga.jpg

DSC_0764_zpsfkvfpv3p.jpg

Hello guys...I’m a Unimog owner and looking to do this very thing to convert to disc brakes and need help with details on the complete build in these pictures...if someone would please contact me and help guide me through how to build these that would be highly appreciated...I have looked everywhere and this seems to be a AWSOME forum to be a part of...THANKS IN ADVANCE