Why are the series upper tailgates (cat flaps) so expensive???

Scooby Jim

I really don't get why they are so expensive for half a door, and if they are so expensive why don't the companies that remake the doors make these as well? As surely there is a market, and they will fit quite a few vehicles.

Last one I was looking at went for £180, I mean come on, £180 for a rusty half door??
Anyways Rant over lol, anyone got one??

I've been doing exactly the same recently. They are going for lots of money. I managed to pick one up at newbury for £40 but without hinges. (Theyre even harder to find on their own. I got one but I'm going to have to get a second made)

I guess its just supply and demand causing the price, but amusingly not enough demand to make it worthwhile for one of the companies to remake them

That's unbelievable!

You couldn't even give away a catflap door if you tried round here. It's the rear swing away doors that go for stupid money.

I should send a shipment away to the UK... I have 5 or 6 kicking round somewhere!

That's unbelievable!

You couldn't even give away a catflap door if you tried round here. It's the rear swing away doors that go for stupid money.

I should send a shipment away to the UK... I have 5 or 6 kicking round somewhere!

That sounds like a great idea, find as many as you can and if they are in good nick looking at around £150-200 each, so depends on how cheap they can be shipped for :D

But as for demand, surely with them fitting the defender (I'd imagine), then there would be a market, esp if they had gas assist lifting.

The doors also, they make them with non galvanised frames, same as the window frames, WHY?? pure insanity or repeat business??

It is too bad someone does not make a replacement one. With a larger window and gas struts. They are so much more useful that the side swing doors.

Oh yes, perhaps we should approach one of these companies, and see what they say??

That's unbelievable!

Not just over your way. I couldn't give one away four or five years ago.

• 1 month later...

Sent this email to SP Land Rovers a few days ago.

To whom it may concern.

I wonder if you can help.
I have been looking for a upper tailgate for my series for a while now, and all the available ones are rusty horrible looking tailgates best off being thrown in a skip. They do also go for a LOT of money (£80-£160), considering they are only half a door.
Would this be something that you may look into manufacturing? As I really would prefer a new type if they would be remade, as I need 2 new front doors in a couple of months (as I’m rebuilding/restoring a 1972 `88 with a 3.5 V8), so would be ideal for me to purchase a catflap also.
I have asked around on various Land Rover forums, and there seems to be no one making these.

For your viewing I have included two currently on Ebay, the first will no doubt go for a LOT more, and the second is well best part of £200 for half a door.
I hope that this is something that you will consider, as these parts are getting rarer and rarer, so prices are skyrocketing. And with them being also able to be used on utility Defenders with some brackets would possibly be an extra bonus, as not just for the Series Vehicle.

Many thanks,

J Allen.

And I had this reply.

hi james, sorry for the late reply,

our manufacturer we use has the tooling for the catflap rear door as well as quite a few other land rover parts, they will start making them one day but as with any manufacturer this could be years off as they are so busy making other items and manufacturers are notoriously slow at doing things unfortunately, we have expressed our interest in getting them made a while back now but i am unsure when they will actually start reproducing them

Kind Regards,
William Staniford-Payne
SP Landrovers ltd

So some good news on that, that the rear cat-flap is able to be made, perhaps some noise and asking about it may get some made, so I replied.

Hi William.

Its no problem the late reply as I work nights so am nearly nocturnal :D

Its a shame that they don't make them, perhaps a few carefully crafted emails may get them to pull their finger out, usually with things like this if 10 could be bought before manufacture they soon change their opinion, esp with cash in advance.

Hmmm can see a group buy/promotion coming on with a few LR clubs :D

Cheers for the reply, if you get any good news then I'll be first on the list :D
I will be after a complete set of front series non antiburst doors in a month or two, do you supply them with all catches and nuts, or will I need to get them elsewhere?

Cheers,
James.

If you don't ask you don't get lol.

I've got two in the container, I'm not interested, though well done for putting the thing together!

Suggestion - mention on the deafener forum?

G.

I've got two in the container, I'm not interested, though well done for putting the thing together!

Suggestion - mention on the deafener forum?

G.

That's just greedy having two in a container, what about us poor poor people with standard back doors who want a catflap?? :D

Will post up in the defender forum if I get anywhere, if they come back and say they want a minimum number to SPLandRover then we can see whats what, but until then it's just a theoretical exercise. Which I hope will change.

Interestingly, one of them was (crudely) made into a one piece rear door!!

I may fit it to the vapour 109, I've yet to decide which is best. As the dogs are going to travel in the back it may be easier to have the catflap and swing out tailgate.

The other one came with my daily driver HT 109, which was turned into a pickup to avoid the road tax when I was living in Ireland (€1,000 of a difference each year). I'm of a mind to turn it back to original some day, but for now the pickup is so handy for junk moving it will stay as it is.

G.