94 RR CLASSIS LWB swap to 300tdi

jbote1

I hate to see the lovely V8 go out of the vehicle. I have a RRC LWB 4.2 and a RRC 300 TDI, both with BWTCs and ZF autos. Comparing the two I will choose the V8 every time over the TDI. The TDI is a good workhorse, however the V8 is a workhorse that puts a big smile on my face. You have made your mind so good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

work is slowly progressing on the conversion. Parts are trickling every week so I try to put a weekend in. will be posting photos soon. I have layed all the wiring harness back and steering wheel in place. I am now sorting out the wires that I will be using for the TDI.

If anyone has any advice just chime on in please thanks.

I have been looking up at some wiring diagrams for the 300tdi and the 4.2 and started to pull some wires out that I will not be needing, I hope..

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 95 Softdash LWB with a 4.2 with around 300k miles on the clock. Really loving the car and it has been good to me.

But with a yearly milage of 25-30k miles, I will follow your swap.

We have found a nice 300TDi with automatic from a Disco with on 70k miles on it. Going to use this engine, transmission and possible other bits for the LWB.

Can't wait for the result and driving the car without issues for years!

If anyone has any advice just chime on in please thanks.

Hello! Nice to see someone restoring a LSE.

I did a diesel conversion on my RRC some time back (Td5). I did all the initial wiring prep work on the dining room table. Not because I'm a horrible human, but because I needed somewhere I could sit comfortably and quietly trace wires and mix two looms together.

I used the two relevant Haynes manuals - my RRC one and a Discovery2 one - for wiring schematics. Later in the job I got my hands on the RAVE schematics which were much more difficult to source back in '06, and it made a huge difference because they use coloured diagrams.

Be meticulous with the routing and tying off of all wires. Make the job as neat as possible and only leave enough slack on any wire to ensure it isn't going to chafe or snag. It's easy, not least because LR didn't change any wire colours in 40 years of RRC's/Defenders/Discos. They just added new colours as new equipment/tech came online.

Best of luck!

Where's the album of photos?

No, and I took pictures all along the way. It lasted 34 years in reasonable order, but 7 years living at the sea with me and the body's shot so I'm about to restore the car, nut and bolt - including the engine. I'll document the whole thing properly. :)

PS, we've passed through Belgium together, en route from Holland to France & Spain.

• 3 weeks later...

jbote1.....look up jerp209 on lrrforums.com . He is a couple of days away from firing up his '95 RRC / 300Tdi conversion. He's over in Modesto. May have some insight for you. If nothing else, he's a great source for parts. His sideline is breaking apart Rovers, mainly classics.

Been a while thanks for the comments and feedback. Crazy work days and lots of visitors lately.

Progress is going slower with reconfiguring wiring and eliminating uneccessary electronics. It's all sorted out now!! Hooked up batteries and turned the iginition switch and all wiring seems to be straight, have'nt blown a fuse or a relay yet. I am going to try to start her today wish me luck!!

purging diesel lines and bundling up the leftover wiring harness.

jbote1.....look up jerp209 on lrrforums.com . He is a couple of days away from firing up his '95 RRC / 300Tdi conversion. He's over in Modesto. May have some insight for you. If nothing else, he's a great source for parts. His sideline is breaking apart Rovers, mainly classics.

Baeau, thanks for the info will definitely look him up.

I have a 95 Softdash LWB with a 4.2 with around 300k miles on the clock. Really loving the car and it has been good to me.

But with a yearly milage of 25-30k miles, I will follow your swap.

We have found a nice 300TDi with automatic from a Disco with on 70k miles on it. Going to use this engine, transmission and possible other bits for the LWB.

Can't wait for the result and driving the car without issues for years!

Ya love the classic!! Let me know when you start and will give you feedback and info I've learned while doing the conversion. I will be chronicling the swap with more details once I get more time.

Hello! Nice to see someone restoring a LSE.

I did a diesel conversion on my RRC some time back (Td5). I did all the initial wiring prep work on the dining room table. Not because I'm a horrible human, but because I needed somewhere I could sit comfortably and quietly trace wires and mix two looms together.

I used the two relevant Haynes manuals - my RRC one and a Discovery2 one - for wiring schematics. Later in the job I got my hands on the RAVE schematics which were much more difficult to source back in '06, and it made a huge difference because they use coloured diagrams.

Be meticulous with the routing and tying off of all wires. Make the job as neat as possible and only leave enough slack on any wire to ensure it isn't going to chafe or snag. It's easy, not least because LR didn't change any wire colours in 40 years of RRC's/Defenders/Discos. They just added new colours as new equipment/tech came online.

Best of luck!

Where's the album of photos?

I am almost complete with the wiring only have the lower end left,tcase and trans. Demoed out all electronics that I did not need and turned the iginition and all seems to be proper. Gonna try to fire the engine today! Wish me luck!

Fired up the engine today and was successful after trouble shooting. would not start at the beginning figured it might be the hose connection that I did. I had extra hose and stuck in the gas can and fired up right away. Problem was that I just clamped the hose right onto the sender unit in the tank instead of using a hose connector and compresion couplings.

I also had issues with the injector rubber hose line. After the engine was on those jumper hoses just popped out of place. I ended up putting clamps on it, but I noticed that on all 300tdi photos I did not notice them on there.

Would there be something else happening there that I don't know about that makes the hose pop off besides having a clamp on? Any answer on this would be great!

The spill hose that jumps from injector to injector is a tight push fit, the diesel is at low pressure there.

if you're re-using old pipe try trimming a little off the end, otherwise it's quite easy to get a new length of spill pipe from any decent parts shop.

• 3 weeks later...

figured out the issue with the return line pressure. Seems that I have a clog on my vent pipes in the tank that is causing a buildup in tank vacuum. After removing cap and starting all is fine. I will need to remove the tank and see what is going on, but in the meantime I have hooked up and made up new brake lines will do the clutch next.

Been following your thread from the start. Joined the forum to say I'm stoked to see how it all turns out. I just bought myself a 95 LWB Soft Dash for 500. Needs an engine and trans... just so happens I have a 300D, R380, and LT230. ... Yes I said 300D not 300TDI. I'm going Mercedes!

+1 for RRC with Diesel Engines

• 1 month later...

Been following your thread from the start. Joined the forum to say I'm stoked to see how it all turns out. I just bought myself a 95 LWB Soft Dash for 500. Needs an engine and trans... just so happens I have a 300D, R380, and LT230. ... Yes I said 300D not 300TDI. I'm going Mercedes!

+1 for RRC with Diesel Engines

Awesome!! Conversion is all complete just actually putting a punch list right now so I can drive it by next weekend I hope. Been busy with all the holiday stuff.

Have you had any words with the DMV yet?

I just registered with my old smog so I have the rest of the year to get that sorted out. The rig is still not drivable yet.. and when it is I'll head over and get a verification and get it sorted out.