4.0 MS Install - Questions

ThreePointFive

I guess that now my build is almost entirely on the MS I should really start getting the info I need.

So I've roughly routed the injector wiring, I'm now looking at the coils. On the 4.0 they're nicely situated at the rear with a plug socket ready to go. I've trawled other threads but all seem to be using the coils supplied with the MS, with 3 holes each side for the wires to neatly connect up, as per Steve's thread here:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=87607#

But I don't have anything like this, so how can I connect up my coils? (ignore the connection in the foreground, it's just to hold the wire in place while I routed them)

DSC_0412_zpse73cb55d.jpg

Do I need to cut each of the wires and solder in the MS or is there a way to configure the correct type of plug to work instead?

Starting to feel like this is beyond me.

I've recently done this one a 4.6 GEMS, I just used the plug on the loom, using an MS2.

All is working fine, if you have the GEMS ECU connectors still attached the pin outs for the ignition coils can be found here http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/44978-lucas-gems-engine-management-ecu-pinout.html

I've stripped the plug from the original loom (someone will now tell me it's worth many thousands on ebay no doubt) and it's difficult to tell which wire relates to which coil because they run unsighted beneath the lot of them. However, there are five of them so I'm hopeful I can just match them up after a bit of poking around and then connect as if I'd done it the 'normal' way.

DSC_0427_zps4623c83e.jpg

DSC_0423_zps9c2eb4d9.jpg

Bored at work so having a look myself. This is what RAVE says:

u9vATk3.png

And this is from the Megamanual:

edis8ew.gif

And this image:

coil_wiring.jpg

That should be enough info I think?

EDIT:

And continuing from that (still bored):

EDIS pin 8 -> GEMS pin 1

EDIS pin 9 -> GEMS pin 4

EDIS pin 11 -> GEMS pin 2

EDIS pin 12 -> GEMS pin 3

Edited by elbekko

I've wired in the plug as indicated by the diagrams it all makes sense, though I won't know for sure if I had the correct colour to colour interpretations until I start it up.

Going to the EDIS side and trying to make a start on that end, I'm looking at this:

DSC_0433_zps3e3d71f8.jpg

The wires I want to use are wrapped in this tape with what looks to be a bare large diameter cable looped inside it (silver object protruding from tape). Is this something I should leave alone or am I free to take it apart? I am concerned it's something intentional that I am about to cut up and destroy, so confirmation would be welcomed. It just looks a bit deliberate - if not odd - to me.

Additionally an earth wire with ring connector was cable tied to the harness, not sure what purpose this has as it's not going to feed into the EDIS with that connection... is it?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to wire the 37 pin PCB plug but having major issues. Having just turned it around to do the earths, half the wires I had done snapped off. I just don't seem to be able to get a clean, strong joint. Adding more solder to get a proper join just means the heatshrink doesn't fit, or worse still, the solder joins separate pins. Also having tried to get the joins properly seated I overheated a pin and it's moved in the plastic to almost the other side of the plug...

Clearly I'm doing it wrong - I realise the fault is me and not the plug.

Is there any advice on how to actually solder something so small and fiddly? I'm not throwing in the towel but I need to know what I can do to make this work, clearly I'm the only one having this problem.

I tend to tin the pin a little bit, then strip and tin the wire. Then you just heat the pin a little and push the wire into place. Slide some heatshrink over the joint and Bob is your mothers brother.

Keeping your tip clean helps (as applies to so many things in life :ph34r: )

Thanks for the advice all, I did try tinning the pins and wires, but I clearly didn't get it right - probably not enough solder. I thenadded solder over the join while heating the two to compensate but I think this made the joints too large. That said, the thickness of the wire vs the pins is quite big anyway, it's going to be fiddly no matter what I do.

I'll have to try again with the other plug, as I think this one is now ruined thanks to the overheated pin.

if your using lead free solder it can be a pain. if you can find some one with old solder with lead in it, it will work alot better. I would defiantly use Fluxite solderning paste on lead free stuff it makes a world of difference. Its a green tin with a goblin on it..... its also quite exspencive at £10 for a small tin but will last you forever.

hope that helps :)

from the pics on the first page it looks like more heat would be good, and defently if you are putting solder on top of solder. soldering sould be a quick operation that you do once and dont go over gain. if it looks ugly its probable not a great joint, a good joint sould look clean and shiny.

lead solder is better as it help everything flow together. Why it dificult to get because of RoHS compliancy, they are trying to remove lead from products so its better for the enviroment and lead doesnt end up in land fill etc etc. Saying that it looks like you can get 60/40 tin/lead in maplins at the moment wich would be good. If you hadn't done tones of soldering you wouldnt known, but i have.

From my exsperiance the flux ive sujected is good and well worth it if it wasent i wouldnt have suggested it on here. anyway its just a suggestion take it or leave it.I'll say no more.

• 2 months later...

After a few months of dealing with other things I'm coming back to this (the 90 goes back on the road this year, one way or another).

I'm just finishing the loom but on the instruction CD from Nige it talks about the Lambda 4-wire setup and to refer to the Lambda wiring page for more info but there is no further mention of it besides the exhaust fitting page and the wiring contents.

I was given 2 CDs (one got an update) but in the middle of a house move it's possible I'm using the older one and this is missing the info.

Can anyone help with a diagram or notes?