Replacing cigarette lighter with USB socket (wiring)

Hi,

Im new to the forum so sorry if this sound like a dumb question, but I want to be sure before connecting.

I currently have a TD5 and want to replace the cigarette lighter

(post-101319-0-37910800-1413045973_thumb.jpg)

with one of these:

post-101319-0-09543600-1413045974_thumb.jpg

However, the USB socket has only + and - terminals, whereas the old cigarette lighter has a black wire, purple/green wire, and red/yellow wire connected to it:

post-101319-0-86102300-1413045980_thumb.jpg

I'm guessing that the wires are as follows:

black - earth

purple/green - 12V

red/yellow - to connect the bulb

Could someone confirm this please? I cant test them as its a bit difficult to get my hands on a multi-tester at the moment. Thanks

Hi,

Im new to the forum so sorry if this sound like a dumb question, but I want to be sure before connecting.

I currently have a TD5 and want to replace the cigarette lighter (attachicon.gif$(KGrHqV,!ncE63T0+q3jBO+C0OquZg~~60_57.JPG) with one of these:

attachicon.gif$_12.JPG

However, the USB socket has only + and - terminals, whereas the old cigarette lighter has a black wire, purple/green wire, and red/yellow wire connected to it:

attachicon.gifIMG_20141011_140514.jpg

I'm guessing that the wires are as follows:

black - earth

purple/green - 12V

red/yellow - to connect the bulb

Could someone confirm this please? I cant test them as its a bit difficult to get my hands on a multi-tester at the moment. Thanks

agreed, just checked with my 2002 wiring diagrams. :i-m_so_happy:

Try this one..............

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-USB-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-Splitter-12V-Charger-Power-Adapter-Outlet-/231307335084?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35dafdd5ac

I fitted this usb device but the thing has an led on it which means it needs a switch or an ignition feed which might not be appropriate if you need power all the time.

I just fitted a switch.

I bought mine from Amazon, specifically for the 2.1 amp output ....

Blue Sea - Dual Usb Charger Socket - 2 Usb Ports W/Watertight Cap https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0082CXEI8/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_dpOoub0A8GAXM

Couple of years ago and it's been great. This last fitting was swapping it into my new 90.

• 2 months later...

I am also a new Newbee, have a 300TDI and is restoring a 1964 11A FFR (military)

I am changing cigarette lighter to USB:

​The problem I have is there are 4 wires coming out to the cigarette lighter

Red/Yellow- LIGHT

Green

Black

White

​if i connect green and black the USB is not working, i am not getting 12V, I am getting less (do not know how much). Do any one have an answer please

I did this mod (on a 1983 110) a few weeks ago. I worked out the + & earth leads and also the light bulb connections - still dead.

In-line fuze (35A) further back in the loom had blown - duh !

Brilliant for charging the phone, running satnav, etc. Blue LED constantly on in the dash looks a bit weird in a 31 year old vehicle.