New steering box

The steering box on my RHD 1990 90 is leaking like the proverbial sieve. I've just been looking for a replacement and am bewildered by the array of options.

The vehicle has a 300 TDI conversion and power steering. It's used mainly for local and farm duties. I want the most reliable and hard wearing replacement option, cost is a secondary issue.

It's due for an MOT at the end of the first week of February so this will need to be sorted before then. Due to lack of time, I'd rather buy a new (or well done reconditioned) box than try to fix the one I've got.

What do I need to buy, and where best from?

Would be worth a quick check in the engine bay to see what's fitted. There was a period during the early 90s when they were fitting both 6-bolt and 4-bolt boxes to Defenders. My 1992 had a 6-bolt, and I changed it to a 4-bolt - the pipe fittings between these two are interchangeable but the drop arm splines are not, so get a new box with a new arm/joint already on it.

• 2 years later...

Hi,

Have been trying to source a new box for my Range Rover classic and came across this discussion. I tried contacting Adwest(now Magul) but was told they don't make the boxes anymore and Britpart are now manufacturing them. Contacted Britpart who just said they have them in stock but couldn't confirm where they are getting them from. Does anyone have any more info on this? I had seen on another post here that Adwest used to be able to supply a custom box for around £289 but the cheapest I can see the right part is £395.88 from here. Does anyone know if this is the lightweight or heavyweight version and which is the better?

Many thanks in advance.

Hmm, don't believe Britpart are making them as the profit margins won't be high enough - Adwest make steering boxes for lots of vehicles, if Britpart were manufacturing them, it would only be for Land Rovers. Perhaps the end of Defender production means quantity production is no longer viable for Adwest.

Did you use the contact details here ?:

http://www.magal.co.uk/contact-us-pa-1263.php

I actually went to that factory and there was a cut away sectioned Land Rover power steering box in a glass display case in reception. I rang in advance and an hour later, they had a brand spanking new one with drop arm ready for me. I paid there and then and brought the old one back a few weeks later for the surcharge refund.

A quick trawl of the web seems to show they are back ordered with many suppliers or silly prices - £1000!

Paddocks has Adwest ones with drop arm for £450.

http://www.paddockspares.com/ntc1580nor-rhd-4-bolt-pas-box-complete-with-bent-drop-arm-outright.html

Edited by simonb

Well guy's for what it's worth I fitted a recon box couple of years back and have had no issues, found the place on eBay good price to.(it includes an excess in the price).

You send the old one back and they refund you the excess as soon as they receive it and they pay for the collection of your old unit too.

The only issue I had was when I got it the bolt holes where smaller than my original. I spoke to them and they said there are two variants I was unlucky, but offered to send me the smaller bolts in the post free of charge. In the end I was in a rush to complete the fitting for the MOT so just drilled them out less than half a mm.

Never had a problem since touch wood, so for a cheaper alternative worth looking at particularly as they come with a warranty.

I also bought a drop arm too, as I heard of the nightmares removing the begger, but low and behold it came off quite easy with WD40 and a puller so now have a spare.

Ian

Land Rover Defender 2.5 300 TDI 1990 on Remanufactured Steering Box. 

GENUINE RECONDITIONED STEERING BOX (RECON-RETURN SERVICE). REBUILT USING O.E SPEC OR GREATER SEALS ” £149

Off the shelf, Same day dispatch

If you have any doubts as to whether this is the correct part for your vehicle please contact us prior to ordering. (Exchange unit we require your old steering box back!)

01924 267999 

We simply arrange our courier to collect your old unit free of charge in the UK mainland, If you are outside the UK mainland please contact us prior to ordering as a surcharge may apply.

Think Price has gone up a little since I bought mine and they now only charge you if you don't return the old unit, still a cheaper option than a new unit !

6 hours ago, IanT90 said:

Land Rover Defender 2.5 300 TDI 1990 on Remanufactured Steering Box. 

GENUINE RECONDITIONED STEERING BOX (RECON-RETURN SERVICE). REBUILT USING O.E SPEC OR GREATER SEALS ” £149

Off the shelf, Same day dispatch

If you have any doubts as to whether this is the correct part for your vehicle please contact us prior to ordering. (Exchange unit we require your old steering box back!)

01924 267999 

We simply arrange our courier to collect your old unit free of charge in the UK mainland, If you are outside the UK mainland please contact us prior to ordering as a surcharge may apply.

Think Price has gone up a little since I bought mine and they now only charge you if you don't return the old unit, still a cheaper option than a new unit !

That price makes me extremely suspicious about their quality.  Plenty of recon boxes are merely cleaned and repainted second hand items from scrap yards.

17 hours ago, octane said:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, those were the contact details I used.  Might give them a call tomorrow and see if I can speak to someone else.

When did you purchase one from the factory?

Thanks again.

I did get it from the factory, but it was about 5 years ago. Looks like the end of Defender production means Magul have ceased production of PAS boxes as well.

LR direct have them for £395 inc vat but without the drop arm.

https://www.lrdirect.com/QAF500110-Gear-Assy-Steering/?keep_https=yes

I suspect where stockists state "Adwest" they are ones they already have on the shelf.

• 4 years later...
On 1/17/2017 at 7:33 PM, simonb said:

A quick trawl of the web seems to show they are back ordered with many suppliers or silly prices - £1000!

Paddocks has Adwest ones with drop arm for £450.

http://www.paddockspares.com/ntc1580nor-rhd-4-bolt-pas-box-complete-with-bent-drop-arm-outright.html

I'm on the hunt for a new steering box just now and came across this post. Click the Paddock Spares link above for a sad lesson in Defender parts price inflation :(

8 hours ago, paime said:

I'm on the hunt for a new steering box just now and came across this post. Click the Paddock Spares link above for a sad lesson in Defender parts price inflation :(

Ouch! I'm really glad I replaced mine a little while ago. Another part to be added to the list of stuff to buy when you see it cheap at an auto-jumble, farm sale or liquidation sale. (To go with Morgan indicator stalks, Ford 711M blocks, genuine Lucas washer pumps and bottles, etc.)

10 hours ago, paime said:

carp thats doubled plus a bit in price!

Is it simple economics or material prices increasing, I wonder. You see it quite a lot these days with other items like body cappings, bulkheads and doors. It's becoming prohibitively expensive unfortunately.

2 hours ago, paime said:

Is it simple economics or material prices increasing, 

No I would say traditional Defenders have become the new cash cow for suppliers, just look at what they sell for, you could have predicted the part supply chain would want their cut regards Stephen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

When I bought a new box, not a recon years ago, it was about £500, when recons were ~£250, IIRC.

No recons available now, so guess they can do what they want with the price.

I must have got one of the last ones from Magal/Adwest direct. Their prices were always the best - mine was sub £400 I think.