Electric Fan / Fans for a V8 Defender

I fitted one from a Ford Mondeo to my 300tdi and an X-Fan to control it.

It was a tight fit and a lot of cutting with the Dremil so check how much room you have, it does nothing for me as the 300tdi runs cold compaired to your V8.

What would be the best choice / supplier to supply Electric Radiator Fan / Fans in a V8 Defender 110 ?

Cheers

Remember that the fan should only switch on when the engines temp is hotter the its normal running temp, maybe not a good idea with a V8, otherwise the fan will be then always running and possibly over cooling the engine.

I run twin ~12" fans from an Audi (scrapyard visit + tape measure) using Bull Bar Cowboy's dual-speed fan circuit, so they come on slow (& quiet) unless things are getting really toasty (donuts in low box), controlled by the ECU.

Never had an issue with them due to water, other than forgetting to re-activate them after switching the override switch for wading :blush: but there's a warning light for that ^_^

I run twin ~12" fans from an Audi (scrapyard visit + tape measure) using Bull Bar Cowboy's dual-speed fan circuit, so they come on slow (& quiet) unless things are getting really toasty (donuts in low box), controlled by the ECU.

Never had an issue with them due to water, other than forgetting to re-activate them after switching the override switch for wading :blush: but there's a warning light for that ^_^

That would be an awesome write up for the popular mods section Fridge. Many folk would be interested to know more about that..

• Like 1

Write up please Fridge... :)

Err, yeah, Bull bar Cowboy did write it up back when the forum wasn't blue but I don't know if it got transferred / saved.

I'm a little busy at the mo (builders trashing the house, garage in build, kitchen to install, ambulance to MOT, freelander to service...) but by all means prod me at weekly/monthly intervals to see if I can remember what I did and if I've got any piccies :wacko:

• 7 months later...

Err, yeah, Bull bar Cowboy did write it up back when the forum wasn't blue but I don't know if it got transferred / saved.

I'm a little busy at the mo (builders trashing the house, garage in build, kitchen to install, ambulance to MOT, freelander to service...) but by all means prod me at weekly/monthly intervals to see if I can remember what I did and if I've got any piccies :wacko:

Just a little bump as you suggested John to see if you found your details on this. I'm now at the stage of pondering my best setup for this ;)

• Like 1

Still a bit busy but having just done a V8 swap on the 127 (a standard V8 Defender) I'll say that I found Mk1 Freelander 1.8 petrol fans fit nicely with minimal fettling on a standard Defender V8 rad, get one from an aircon vehicle and you get two fans in a cowling, get the control box as well and it looks like you get Land Rover's own version of Bull Bar Cowboy's dual-speed circuit in a box (RAVE manual shows the diagram of the circuit!), I've bought one on eBlag for £15 delivered but not had chance to look at it.

Ive found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FREELANDER-1-8-RADIATOR-AND-COOLING-FAN-/150959295403?hash=item2325e00bab

Doesn't say if it's from aircon vehicle but looks to be same as you describe? Only thing that concerns me is that the control box looks to be where the top hose goes into my v8 rad.

Also, did you get my PM about that other business?

Cheers

Stumbled upon a box yesterday that contained an X-fan that I forgot I even had! I really need to set about sorting out all the various boxes I have laying around.

Anyway the point is I may as well utilise the damn thing. So I had a quick search on eBay and found http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151280558436?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Seem pretty good value. There only 80W but should still be ok seeing as I'm using 2 fans.

Absolutely :)

Trip to the scrappy if you can't find any. I have Mondeo twin fins from a car with AC on my RRC, they REALLY shift some air, if you want me to measure them up just say... they are a bit narrower than the rad so may fit a Defender V8 rad...

Look like this, very well cowled: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-FORD-MONDEO-2-0-LITRE-PETROL-MANUAL-TWIN-FAN-ENGINE-COOLING-MOTOR-/360985436212?hash=item540c68a034