Series 3 sticking in gear

Texpis

Hi all a bit of advice please. I have bought a series 3 with a known gearbox problem. The gearbox was replaced with an recon unit after 6 months it started to stick in gear you literally can't get it out of gear until you Rev the engine a bit. He was going to send the gearbox back but with family problems it got dumped in his garden for about 5 years. I have just repaired the footwells and serviced the engine and done loads of other jobs thinking I can get away with the gearbox problem, it when for a drive today and it's imposible to drive I believe it's mainly third and it happens after acceleration and deceleration. I know it's a gear box out but is it an easy repair? Bearing etc should be okay what do you think. Oh and it's a 1982 so I believe that is the later type box.

Mick

Okay guys clutch well and truly bled I conviced there is no air in the system. Bit more info on the problem, in third gear it seems like it pops out of gear but it doesn't if you see what I mean. If you try and change gear then it won't come out, if you push it back into gear then it will change. Second gear is ver Granchy (is there such a word) and jumps out of gear.

Mick

It could be a loose main shaft nut inside the transfer box making the second gear noise and allowing the shaft to move longitudinally, giving the impression of third moving. I doubt it's related to the sticking in gear, unless the bearings are so worn that the shafts are skewing.