Superwinch Husky Mounting (Rear winch onto Southdown Guard)

Bit of an update on this. I've made the brace blocks and happy with the strength and design on them 1 block loaded in compression with just over double the max winch pull and it's max deflection is only about 0.5mm. And that's slightly more than the real world as its deflecting by the pockets so the solid bits will take more load in the real world.

93BD9D70-2922-40FA-8A98-CC9C03D9B771_zpsfs4spclv.JPG.4689eaccad1a293e4122ffa1019bb53d.JPG

1B4A6799-D8E9-41EB-9343-31D2FEADAF94_zpsbelszwl9.JPG.d827c07d52cb80dc2d48f83d93d59a39.JPG

So the mount you can see bolted to the winch is what I want to ask a few questions about. It looks like this:

D9ECA34A-7DB8-4539-824C-6DBF4C4DBC4E_zps99pbv93d.JPG.3d4ab9adfd2ab4191ff6afb67b0934bd.JPG

I've changed the length of the braces since having this test one cut, so it's too short and the angle is also slightly wrong (but that was expected). Got another test one being cut tomorrow morning.

So some thoughts I'd like comments on. SimonR and Bishbosh in particular :P.

1) Had the idea to add flanges to the bottom edges of the mount and bolt it to the Southdown. I can't yet decide if there's an advantage of doing it. But would it be as strong as a single bead of weld the length of the mount each side? Thinking either 2x M10 each like the winch, or maybe 3x M8 to spread he Los across the mount?

2) Dimple the hell out of it to take weight out, and add stiffness to it? Given the Ali blocks to the crossmember the mount underneath isn't going to see much load?

3) I think I'm going to make the two brace triangles in each end into one part with a 10mm wide strip between them and completely weld it to the mount. Think it's the best way of adding a lip to the front and rear edges as I can't have the edges go up due to the winch gearbox.

4) The extra bits that tie each pair of winch holes on a side together will be a couple of plates with the matching holes. Two things, are they needed? Do I need to fully weld them or can they be a separate part that just held by the bolts and still be useful?

5) do I need much side-side bracing as the winch drum is 250mm from the face of the crossmember? Maybe just bracing triangles in the taller end?

6) I'll probably think of more later!

flat pattern (minus swage holes)

post-13725-0-15926700-1452436992_thumb.jpg

3D, (minus swage holes) including flat spreader strips where it bolts down:

post-13725-0-28357500-1452436994_thumb.jpg

post-13725-0-10767000-1452436996_thumb.jpg

post-13725-0-09066600-1452436998_thumb.jpg

Including swage holes:
post-13725-0-35686100-1452437001_thumb.jpg

Should be more than stiff enough considering 90%+ of torsional and line pull load will be transferred through your Ali blocks to the rear X-member

I particularly think the front and rear edge return fold/gusset design would be beneficial, especially with the strategically placed swages!

Edit: and as I've said to you i would prefer it to be bolt on in case of future changes for example change of winch type or a design revision.

• Like 1

Why do you need that part? are the ali blocks on their own not strong enough? I can see a lot of mud accumulating in that tank guard, which brings me to the next thing: do you need the tank guard? I know you want the removable towbar, but to add that kind of weight to it seems a bit overkill. Sorry to be negative on your build at this stage, which does look a very high standard.

Daan

Why do you need that part? are the ali blocks on their own not strong enough? I can see a lot of mud accumulating in that tank guard, which brings me to the next thing: do you need the tank guard? I know you want the removable towbar, but to add that kind of weight to it seems a bit overkill. Sorry to be negative on your build at this stage, which does look a very high standard.

Daan

Its mainly to support the weight of the winch itself and give it some side-side stability. The blocks are 155mm long, so the weight of the winch would be dangling in the air a fair way back. There's also a fair chunk of weight in just the Bow2. Overkill weight as in the mount or the accumulated mud? Mud is going to collect around the winch anyway I'd have thought? The guard does also provide a fairly smooth, solid, skid plate for the rear of the car as well.

As it is, the mount is all in 3mm but I was pondering making it 2 or 2.5mm instead.

not negative at all, all valid points :)

Apologies if the above doesn't read well.... its a bit of a mind dump too.