MY2000 Disco Td5 stops after a relativly short distance.

finnarne

Last Wednesday, my wife complained about some vibrations when driving at slow speed. The vibrations stopped when they had gained some more speed, but she asked me if I could check the wheel nuts (?).

I knew the front right wheel bearing was bad, and had planed to change from winter tyres to summer tires that evening already. Yes. The front right was bad, a lot worse than the check at the local LR-dealer garage meeeting last Monday had shown. New wheel bearings was planned for delivery on Friday, so it had to wait.

On Friday the wheel bearings arrived, but I had to drive a 60 km trip to deliver one kid, and then back. We got some vibrations again, and it was not the wheel bearing. It's kind of the same misfire that comes with Oil in the Red ECU-plug. Later that evening, on the way home, after 3 more stops at various shops, the enign dies when idling as I drove through our small hometown. I tried locking the doors, then opening again, as It felt like it was the immobilizer, which I already had disabled through Nanocom. Lots of errors in the log, cleaned them out, and a few was persistent.

Then M+S lighted up, and it was time to be towed back home. It wasa nice ride behind an old DiscoV8 (my neighbours)

Back at home I put connected the charger to my battery, end called it the day.

Next morning I started again, clearing any errors with Nanocom, then trying to start. Tried to connect an extra battery, but it just wouldn't fire. Then I pulled out the ECU, and there was oil in the plug. The injector harness was changed 5 months ago, but there was still some oil in the engine harness. We opened the ECU, and checked for oil, but found very little.

Checked the errors with Nanocom again, and some were still persistent.

From my memory:

(4,2) fuel temperature sensor (Logged high)

(6,2) fuel temperature sensor (Current)

When we checked the sensor, or the plug, the plug came of with 10cm wires on the, which was not connected anywhere. We found "the other side" of the broken wires down in the engine harness, and decided to try to fix them. While we were pulling out the harness, we found some more wires that were broken. We fixed them all, and connected everything. Then tried to start once more. No help, but now we had no error messages logged.

Then we changed the fuel filter, started the fuel bleeding process. Then we made the car start, and we was happy. Changed the wheel bearing and took a short test-trip. All done at Saturday at 11:30 pm

My son borrowed the car on Sunday, and picked up my daughter on Sunday. When he came back, he told it had misfired a couple of times on the 120km trip. Later the rest of the familly decided on a small trip (I was changing the breakes on my Disco Bobtail Pickup), but when they started, it was hard to start, and had a rough running. The managed to drive about 1 km before it died again. Me and my neighbour (in his V8 Disco) came to rescue the car, and towed it back home, After trying to start it were it stopped. Tried the bleeding process both on the road, and when I got the car back home, but it didn't help.

I left the car connected to the charger again, as I finished the breaks on my car.

Then I emptied the filter from what looked like good diesel, ran the bleeding process again, and the engine started. left it running while I went inside to pick up my driver license and some cards, and I drove 2 km to a gas station to fill up the tank. Filled up ~50 litres of diesel. The engine was a bit hard to start, but it started at the second try. Drove 1,5 km back, stopped at another neighbour who was in the process of changing the wheel bearing on his DiscoTd5 :)

I left the engine running for some minutes in his driveway, an it was not running nicely. Then I tried to drive home. As soon as I started to Drive, it died on me again. The first neighbour went home to get a car to tow me back home again. This time in a D90 Td5.

My first thought, is that I have a fuel problem, either bad diesel at some point, a blocked fuel line, or a failing(failed?) fuel pump. I have now ordered a new fuel pump, hopefully It will arrive before the weekend.

Has anyone else any suggestions ? I guess I can go home, empty the fuel filter, run the bleeding process, but then the car will only run a couple of kilometres before it stops again.

more info: the car has a ~290000 km on the clock.

Injector seals/ copper washers give similar symptoms, hard starting and cutting out when warm. Also not unheard of that the track that feeds the fuel pump relay in the fusebox corrodes and can't handle the load of the fuel pump.

• 1 year later...

Update on this thread, just to close it properly.

Problem reappeared after the pump was replaced. The new pump also made a lot of noise.

So I changed the injectorseals/copper washers, And it started fine again. Small test trip, and everything seemed fine. Then next day, My daughter and wife took the car for a longer trip. After ~20km it stopped again. I came to rescue, It was hard to start, and there was a lot of smoke. The problem was the cleaning of the seat for the injector (washers). Got the car back home, pulled out the washers, heated them , cleaned and reused them. This was in June 2015. The car ran fine for half a year before it stopped again the first time on Xmas eve.

I ordered new washers/seals, And was able wait until a month ago to replace the washers. Then it started with the Disco Td5 kangeroo thing. Replaced fuel filter, dieselpump (again, the last one was a cheap one), then the seats. The start problem was solved once again, but I had to replace the wastgate modulator, to get it to run nicely again.