1960 Austin Gipsy Resurrection

I went to a property here 18 months ago where the owner bought up all the spares that the Aus Army were offloading when they went to Land rovers for their vehicles, he has crate upon crate of new diffs, gearboxes and transfers, engines all wrapped up in greased paper and crated in transport ready crates.

He also had at least 12 complete vehicles in various states of neglect and running.

Years back in the days of The Japanese Off Road Club and the Adam Jenkins Challenge, I used to be the clerk of course; our recovery chaps were all from the Gypsy Register. Wonderful made bunch of eccentrics. 3.8 Perkins lumps out of JCB's, front and rear mechanical winches off Q9's or White's half tracks. Additional T boxes...  Great blokes 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Big ,

anybody contemplating buying or rescuing a Gipsy, needs to go for a leaf sprung Mk IV. They are a pretty reliable tub with a chassis much more resistant to rust than  the Defender. The later transfer box like the main gearbox is rock solid. Never abandon that, I agree more modern diesels are attractive because of spares availability and the BMC 2.5 is now very difficult to get heads for, taxi boys used them all up.

put parabolic on the Gipsy and then enjoy a softer ride, no loss of handling, and probably better articulation. It was good on standard springs, 38 inches in all.

now earlier this week I did the demo off road course owned by Supacat, the designers of the army Jackall. What a beauty. Tremendous suspension, stable and very manoeverable. Th most impressive off reader I have ever experienced. I would love one ffrom Santa, but in such low number production and  bespoke engineering, they would never be practical in civilian hands. What a treat though.

Boza.

• 2 years later...