Thinking of a Wolf ambulance....

tweetyduck

I wouldn't worry about military export licence for a Defender - unless you get to a border and specifically tell them you wish to import a military vehicle to sell in their country the issue isn't going to come up, its just another land rover camper. You're only on a TIP anyway. Plus I'd imagine a pulse ambo only just scrapes into the licence category when its got all the military ambo kit and comms in it.

I've taken ex MoD Defenders still in camo and desert colours into Morocco, Tunisia, Libya and the worst that happened was someone asked if I was in the army, and a bit dissapointed when I said no.

log onto my website? Is that acceptable?

http://www.overlandbirds.com/news--blog/the-replacements

@Eight

so i gather but its not the border guards that worry me its HMRC jumped up little fcukers. Anyhow i have agreement for the relavent licence now, so all good. They were actually pretty quick and very helpful and have agreed i can get the applicable licence valid for 5 years to cope with the next trip. This is as long as the person that agreed it still works there when we set off !

I was just thinking about the vodka....

We were planning the full russia, mongolia, stans, iran, pakistan, india, nepal, burmah, cambodia, laos, viet, malaysia thing in not specific order just in early days yet.

We need much cash to do this and that we have not got at the moment. Will be two more years at least until we depart and anything can happen financially. So we will get her ready and do some small trips.

It may be longer......cash is a problem.

A mate of mine did Russia, mongolia, stans etc and couldn't rate it highly enough especially the hospitality -pretty much everyone they met in Russia/mongolia got them pis$ed up on vodka and they didn't pay for many meals either.

Very nice truck, should be spacious compared to the 110. Cooking wise, If you are keeping the 24v system and buying spares (re: other post) investigate a 24v ration heater off ebay. Essentially a warmer upper/boiler for rations, useful if you don't want the fumes/gas or can't venture outside due to dust/rain

similar to this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Heater-Water-and-Ration-HWR-Combat-Crock-pot-24v-7310-01-387-1305-/311394764429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item488093068d

can get them from £15-20 upwards in uk (as not many peeps have got 24v).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/british-army-boiling-frying-pan-surplus-24V-/111718349650?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1a02eebb52

Very nice truck, should be spacious compared to the 110. Cooking wise, If you are keeping the 24v system and buying spares (re: other post) investigate a 24v ration heater off ebay. Essentially a warmer upper/boiler for rations, useful if you don't want the fumes/gas or can't venture outside due to dust/rain

Very nice. Might look for one once we've been down to B&Q and got the new kitchen cupboards...hehe

A mate of mine did Russia, mongolia, stans etc and couldn't rate it highly enough especially the hospitality -pretty much everyone they met in Russia/mongolia got them pis$ed up on vodka and they didn't pay for many meals either.

Haha. I was in Mongolia recently and they nearly killed me on the last night with vodka! The flight home wasn't so much fun after that much vodka!

Looks like a really nice truck Neill

Thanks.

I just hope some little sods don't take a shine to it an take it.....The security is being insreased as we speak. It took me all of three seconds to pick the old locks to enable me to fit new ones. I can pick the new ones in the same time so additional locks are being fitted.

I'll post up some pictures once i can figure out how to link pictures from my blog. MOT tomorrow !!!! We shall see,

Hi tweetyduck,

Interested to see how you get on, I bought the one with the 15.5k guide price (needless to say I did not fork out 15.5k). Arrived on the 21st MOT'd on the 24th, I really hope there not going to faff about to much in Swansea! I really want to get it off the drive and onto the road, my neighbours wont be too keen on a big green ambulance sitting out front.

If you can figure out how the night heater works that would be a help!

Think yours looks cleaner that mine!

Cheers

SST

• 2 months later...

OK they registered it at first pass as a motor caravan and I sent a basic covering letter with no photos with the form and the MOD paperwork etc.

The MOT station did the MOT test as a motor caravan and put something like that on the system after much faffing around so they probably had less issue with the status as A) the MOT saidf it was and B) its the actual first reg of it so not a change of use.

PM me if you'd like to know more.

Process

1. get youself a V55/5 which take ages to come so order early. (no matter what anyone says they cannot be downloaded)
  2. Get your car.
  3. Faff around getting VIN insurance. Make sure the insurance know what it is and what i might become i.e. a camper. Get them to confirm that they will cover you today and after its converted and on the same policy! Get them to tell you all the rules for conversion that you need to to comply with. Make sure you can comply with them. BE VERY CLEAR what you are doing and what stages it will be done and make sure they understand what you are doing. BE VERY CLEAR!!!!!! Flux and Heritage could insure. There are loads a ffing silly rules with both. None of the others could or would. Tell them you are registering it at first reg as a camper and the conversion is ongoing.
  4. Get it MOTd and get the MOT guy on your side. Tell him its a camper and don't let him in the back if he's being a nob. He's not allowed in the back so how does he know its a camaper or not. Just tell him it is. Make sure he logs it as a camper and take a note of the brake testers reported weight which he puts in the system. You will need this for the V55/5.
  5. Send off the V55/5 with the road tax and first reg fee cheque, the origional MOD 645, copy of your licence photocard, a copy of a utility bill, origional MOT cert, copy Emissions report and copy of VIN insurance.
  6. Wait for them all to come back.
  7. Get some plates off Ebay.
  8. Let the insurance know the new reg and since you set all this up before with them you won't need to pay admin fee. Thats if you did what I said above and told them what you are doing.

letter sort of went like this.

Please find enclosed my V55/5 which I have filled out as instructed by Emily in (Team 35) in the customer call centre. After checking with her supervisor Emily confirmed that you did not need any additional documents or photographs to complete first registration and only those enclosed. I was told that as the vehicle is no longer an ambulance, having been decommissioned and converted and as this is the first registration that I just needed to complete the enclosed form and attachments as listed below. I also attach an insurance cover note in addition as I was unclear as if this was required.

I read in the guidance notes that you may need a weight certificate which Emily did not mention. I got the GVW off the VIN plate and the Unladen Weight from the MOT stations brake testing machine which is recorded on the MOT system by the MOT tester. I hope that is sufficient.

I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Yours Sincerely

Enclosed
• V55/5 (completed as best I can and as advised)
• MOD645
• Copy of Photo card Driving Licence
• Copy of Bill
• Insurance Cover Note (do not required it returned)
• MOT Certificate
• Emissions Report
• Cheque for £xxx for Road Tax and First Registration Fee

• 5 weeks later...