MS vs. MJ

becket

Just got my self a disco 3.9 with total messed up ignition. So i was reading a bit around and found trigger-wheels.com.

And was looking at both the MS complet package and MJ complet package but cant figure out whats the diffrence between those to are. Exept of the price

Some body can help me on this ?

And what else do i need to get my disco back running ? Must say iam a total v8 noob as i prefer the tdi.

Thanks a lot

MS can control fuel injection and ignition but MJ is ignition only. I bought a secondhand MS cheaper than MJ and have been using it for ignition only for last two years (edis) and its been faultless. Planning to start using the injection capabilities as well soon.

Andy

MJ only runs spark, MS adds to the mix running your EFI system as well, so you can bin the engine ECU.

My preference would be MS, even if you run it in Spark only for a while, moving to EFI as well in the future is very simple from that point on.

ok thanks for the info :)

How hard is it to get the wiring done when mounting MS directly without the ECU from the begining on?

As i se a lot of wires runing into the ECU, and did not find any manual on how to wire that up with the ECU

Like Bowies says MJ only runs spark, MS adds to the mix running your EFI system as well, so you can bin the engine ECU.

There's a lot more wiring to do to go full MS compared with MJ.

I bought my MJ ECU direct from Autosport Labs in USA. Even with postage and import duty it's a good deal cheaper than from Trigger Wheels. Brackets and hardware came from Nige, coil packs from the local breakers and EDIS-8 on fleabay.

I run mostly LPG, so less interest in controlling the petrol flow ;)

Not discounting what you say Mickey, but there's not that many more wires for full EFI, off the top of my head:

4 wires for injectors (GND and +12V for each bank)

4 wires for lambda

4 wires for fuel pump

1 wire for engine temperature sender (though you may well wire this up for spark-only anyways)

Then you can subtract the fact you need to build or wire up a diode circuit to get MJ or MS to work alongside the EFI ECU, which is 5 wires by itself, so that is only 8 wires more.

You do then have the option to run the idle valve as well, this is just two more wires.

:)

Thanks a lot for all the info.

I think i will go for the MS then and get it wired up complet from the begining on.

I just need to get all the parts at once as i dont have the time to source them local or usa.

Need the disco up and running in 2 weeks as a tow truck for my comp. Truck.

Cheers