I Fancied A New Hat

Team Idris

I was rather taken with Wintercroft masks while I was on Etsy. (Etsy is worse than EBay for dropping cash). For five pounds and something you get a PDF file which is the equivalent of your average dress-pattern. You print it off, check the scale by measuring the datum line is 150mm long and then start with the scissors. That done you stick the patterns to cardboard and start with the scissors again. Then it's sticky tape time to form your very own 3D mask. Cool :)

There's bears and foxes and all sorts!

But you know what's nicer than cardboard? Yep, aluminium :o

image_zpss40qglpd.jpeg

And you know what's better than sticky tape? Tig weld :)

image_zpsclay3saq.jpeg

Unfortunately I'm not a red-hot Tig weldy person so Tony from work has been popping round to join it up. But it is nice to see my welder set do some proper runs on 1mm 1050 ally.

Yeh, I think so? Society has a very low threshold on 'what it can deal with'. I should build a mecha pony to go with it maybe?

http://wintercroft.com

The trick was to lay all the patterns out flat and start joining some parts while seperating others. Then I had a true left/right template to stick to the ally. (Before it had all fitted on A4 sheets). After using the spray impact adhesive I went in with the marker pen and added likely tabs. In this case plastic-protected sheet was perfect. Once it was all bent all that bending template info just peeled off !

There are 18 sheets of A4 in the PDF file.

It should have a horn. The horn is good, but a bit spikey in ally. I've gone for cutting up a blue hand brush to make a Roman style helmet plume.

Sat there it weighs 683 grams.

I wonder if the head band will be a total butt to fit? I can see double sided sticky strip coming into play.....

• 2 weeks later...