fitting roof lights

andycharl

Hi all,

I'm just fitting some spots onto a roof bar on the Defender, and was wondering about best ideas for getting the cables out to them. I guess I drill holes in the roof, but is any place better than another, and what have people used for cable protection, grommets, sleeving etc?

thanks in advance from a Noob

I've avoided doing it (drilling roof) and instead came up out of engine bay on pass side and ran the cable up the side of the windscreen. If you really must drill a hole in the roof use one of the waterproof cable glands that are used on yachts such as these. Whether you come out the side and round is up to you (I'd do that) as that will provide a bit of protection from the wind-blown moisture.

• 2 weeks later...

When I had them I ran the cable down the cage and through a grommet on the wing. I found the reflection on the bonnet awful, you could see better with them off, so try them before you drill anything incase you want to alter the position. Either move them back so the roof casts a shadow on the bonnet or blank off the bottom of the lense.

If your going to bring a grommet through the roof and want to keep your headlining think about where the cable is coming in. If your fitting LED lights then its not so bad but if your sticking 500w of halogen up there your cable is going to be pretty thick and not so bendy.