Nissan 6 Cyl. diesel engine into 110

Mechanical six cylinder?

Cummins 6BT with ZF S5-42 onto LT230 can give a reliable 200bhp and 300lb/ft without breaking a sweat.

OM606 with a Dieselmeiken OM603 pump can give a reliable 200bhp and 400nm attatched to a Rover manual box, or ZF Auto.

Probably similar costs by the time you've put everything together and assembled it in the car.

As mentioned all diesel Landrovers sold in Australia between about 1980 (Series 3 Stage 1) and 1990 (110) were fitted with the Isuzu 3.9 4 cylinder diesel. This was a factory fit and not aftermarket. Initially fitted with the LT95 and later the LT85/LT230. These were only replaced when the Defender 200 tdi was released.

All Australian military landrovers (Perentie) made from the mid 80s to the early 90s were fitted with this engine and LT95. These are just being sold off at the moment.

Clearly this works so why not go with a setup that was fitted as a Landrover option not something that is cobbled together.

Garry

You have a point Garry - I def. don't want to "cobble something together" !

However, getting the special bits for that conversion is a problem here.. Can't remember having seen the 3.9 in a Defender here..

and..... back to 4-speed ? Hmm...

Love to get back to Mazda 3.5 Tdi but so far, only 1 came up and that needs a lot of work to run properly again..

If he doesn't like it, we can swop against a Tdi... :mellow:

Seriously, I've had several and a good one is about as good you can get in a LR or RRC. Look after it and it will just go.

The last one was sitting in a OneTen CSW with a 50th aniv. Defender ZF mated to it and that was about the best thing do drive... I delivered into the UK with the 90 on a 3-axle trailer. Over 370 miles in France we did 60 MPH average on the GPS... And it did break a sweat...

I had to sell it but still miss that one.

A lot.

Just contacted the seller :unsure:

Yes - but somehow the shipping from your part of the world to here would make it difficult these days. I used to work in airfreight and life was much easier then..

Thanks for the tip.

I'm a Certified Time Traveller :wacko:

If I think it is worth it, I'll go and get it.

We build a 109" Cherry Picker where the CP came from Ireland and the 109" from Essex. The Hard Top was sold when the vehicle was in Holland for the Truck Cab to be fitted and the removed Hard Top was sold to a Italian Friend who went to live in Finland.

The 109" PU was eventually transported to France where I fitted the CP to it. It then went around Europe for a few years to people who needed it for all kind of jobs in 9 countries.. Eventually, the CP was sold to be used on a UniMog in Romania and the 109" went back to the UK to be used by friends to build a Dormobile...

So getting a RRC for the Mazda engine is really not that special for us... :hysterical:

Once again I find myself missing my old 4 door Rangie, and the Mazda powered 2 door my mum used to own.

I keep looking at cheap ones on ebay, although I've now got to a point I reckon I've got my 110 for life, even when I'm beyond Mildly miffed off with it I keep falling in love with it again.

Mental illness? Probably.

The whole problem with this is there are no new mechanical road diesel engines in Europe.

So you are stuck with an older engine, with all the problems of spares and manufacturer support. TDI engines are all now, what, 10, 20, 30 years old. And few other engines have the support network that the tdi engines have, even so, there are no new tdi200 cylinder heads.

It would be ok if you could get a modern diesel that would play nice outside of it's original CANbus environment, on a user accessible ECU, but that hasn't happened yet. I know that the manufacturers did a lot of lobbying to ensure they had protection form users accessing the ECU in their own cars, but after the VW(etc) emissions discussion that protection may be removed in the US.

Perhaps this will allow the development of an aftermarket diesel ECU, which will solve a few problems for us, but not soon.

It's for this reason I'm going down the petrol route on my lightweight build. Not appropriate for you, Arjan, as I'm doing much less miles (the V70 WAS a good recommendation, thanks) but there you go.

I'd look into the small truck range for an engine. Isuzu and Mitsubishi light trucks/pickups are good starting places. Your friendly neighbourhood commercial truck mechanic may be a chap to have a chat with. Spares availability and local supply will trump many other factors such as power and torque, if it were me making the decision.

Bonjour Gazzar !

Yes. ECU's rule these days and although clever intelligent people get around that - several people on this forum proof that it can be done - it is not that simple when you're not in countries where that is still -/+ common. It is difficult in France to find a good mechanic, let alone one that likes to work outside the box. Hell, getting a RHD V70 serviced in France in almost impossible because "the engine is the other way around"...

Also, it is getting more and more difficult to do it legally. And although this is something a lot of people find less interesting, in my line of work it is an issue. The Mazda is a good option and having had a few, I really, really like them and it works well. But apart from one that is said to be 6 years from new with only 14k miles, you're looking at a very much "period" engine. The Nissan etc engines, too, are getting on a bit.

Drove the 200 Tdi Ninety last night and it really does go well and for a 30 year 4WD vehicle it is quite good. Perhaps I should do the smart thing and just accept the 300 Tdi in the 110 and leave earlier. And buy a T....a for heavy towing.

Coffee..

Arjan,

I do understand, Ireland wasn't a lot better, silly rules about commercials.

A friend of mine is contemplating putting a XUD from his 406 into a series - it mates up to an lt77 with a sherpa LDV adaptor, apparently. Perhaps a bit wimpy for what you want, but locally available and acceptable.

G.

It is not easy in France.

But a lot more is possible than most think.

Bit like Germany really. Everybody "know" you can't do anything to a vehicle but actually a lot is possible is you follow procedure and get thing TüV Geprüfd.. I have a LR where the fuel type has been changed. Impossible in France but I did id legally.

Paperwork is my world.

But is it getting more and more difficult - some call it progress...

I see no particularly good reason to distrust ECU's, they're generally quite reliable hardware, and depending on which engine you pick can be made to work outside the original car without much effort.

There are more than a few made the BMW M57 work outside the original cars, and a good lump in a 110 it would seem.

When it comes to an engine what you need is VFM and reliability

The 300 actually works quite well if you don't wind it up to the 9's and drive like a male chicken

There's no point in massive power unless it's for a disposable toy or because you simply like fitting crazy lumps into things

What you need is hard as nails, with just the right amount of grunt and the ability to run on anything oily

Hence the OM options. The 606 Turbo and the Cummins 6BT are the fashionable lumps at the moment - fair enough

But why go spendy on a mahoosive drivetrain just because you want a vehicle that was never designed to go like a rocket do just that. That's for toys.

The 606 NAD throws out 134bhp at 5k, drives like silk and has no nasty electrics - and it will run on rape seed oil all day

the 602 Turbo is harder than the Comancheros on a pub night - hell DPD drivers can't break it

the 617 Turbo is pricey but easy to acquire, regularly does a million miles, runs on rape seed oil and can be squeezed up to 190bhp on the standard turbo - and no electrics

But a well built, well maintained 300 is good for 150/160 and 320 ft/lb on a VNT - just needs a decent driver...

M57 and M51 are fair - too many wires, but fair. However if you like wires, then the OM 642 is a no brainer

Never seen the point of silly big power diesels when Satan's fuel gives you so many options - just ask Nige

The LD28 isn't a bad choice with good injectors its very economical and rather revy for a diesel its only let down is its non turbo, its small and noisy in a series.... from the research I did there is a turbo manifold that bolts on off the petrol version of the same block problem was with anything over 7lb boost they ran hot in numbers 1 and 6 also remember something about cranks IMHO not worth turboing

The TD42 is also an economical engine, yes it is lol the problem was the whale of a body they came in.... this is why they got poor economy all that weight but I wouldn't recommend this motor in a series as it will require major body mods to fit (see my build thread lol) a Def would be better with the grill further forward but your still looking at alot of work to fit a rad big enough for this motor and if you decide to go with the nissan box your on a short rear drive shaft with a center drop.... if your going to go to a rover box then I would suggest the only option being the LT95, the Aussy military with there 3.9 Isuzu motor tried other options and went back to this as it was the only option that lasted and I think there was some internal upgrades they did as well check out AULRO site they'll know

The Isuzu truck motors work well but your back to the same box issue above.... I do have a mates truck in my shed at the moment with a 3.6 version of this motor (instead of the 3.9) and it has a early nissan safari/patrol box on it (MQ series) this has proven its self, is short and drops on the right side to line up with a rover axle don't know if this would handle the 3.9 motor tho, not certain about the 3.9 but the 3.6 doesn't need alot of rad so no problem there

We are going to add a turbo manifold off the 3.9 motor and a new turbo plan is to push 12-15lb there's a kiwi build on one of the sites who has done this with real good results

One to consider is the TD27t they are a common motor (all the nissan 4w's come with them) they are around the 110hp and 179lb-ft and are an easy fit being only 4 cylinder and have the same impressive reliability as the TD42

I had a chance to buy a 110 with an Isuzu 3.9 turbo fitted. It was a Saudi spec 110 V8 (no air vents and a big air con). Lovely conversion. Built for a local balloon company. That had an LT95 fitted - with a 1:133 final drive, and an OD. Pulled like a train... Always did like the LT95

Sadly by the time I raised the money, the owner had disappeared and the debt collectors had collected the vehicle