Early rangie rear axles- damper setup

ronnie_rotten

I

As an aside, modern hilux has one shock forward one shock rearward

Indeed they are although the RR and the Hilux dont face the same way as each other..

On the RR I had always 'imagined' it was for some kind of torque reaction or more likely removal of some unfortunate resonance.

It would be really nice to have a look at the designers old notepads.

There could be a fascinating technical reason or maybe: diary entry 1 October 1971 : today drew shock on back axle in wrong place, cant be bothered doing it again.....

• 2 months later...

The asymetrical damper set up was intended to absorb any torsional tramp in the rear end. The original prototypes had the trailing link brackets even higher on the axle and rear-end tramp was noticeable, the dampers are designed to stop this, Rover weren't the only company to do things like this and it was standard industry practice for a time.

The rear axle was changed just before production which would have reduced torsional tramp as a by-product. The dampers were changed roughly when they stopped holding the dampers on with split pins and I think it was when the axles were "metricated" in the 80's. the diffs got bigger bearings and the propshafts got beefed up with bigger UJs, I think it coincides with EFi but this was before any of mine were built so I think of this period as "the dark ages", when BL were still stealing Land Rover's profits to build things like the Metro

The asymetrical damper set up was intended to absorb any torsional tramp in the rear end. The original prototypes had the trailing link brackets even higher on the axle and rear-end tramp was noticeable, the dampers are designed to stop this, Rover weren't the only company to do things like this and it was standard industry practice for a time.

The rear axle was changed just before production which would have reduced torsional tramp as a by-product. The dampers were changed roughly when they stopped holding the dampers on with split pins and I think it was when the axles were "metricated" in the 80's. the diffs got bigger bearings and the propshafts got beefed up with bigger UJs, I think it coincides with EFi but this was before any of mine were built so I think of this period as "the dark ages", when BL were still stealing Land Rover's profits to build things like the Metro

Yup, you've got it right there. Despite the bizarre electrical design and built-in rust, I've persevered with my Rangie because of the superb engineering, especially the suspension.

Mine is an '83 and while it has the original "fore-and-aft" shocks it oddly enough also has holes in the chassis for the later set-up. This is a carbied model, with metric axles and brakes with split pins on the rear shocks. You're right with the "dark ages" comment; it's as if they were making the cars out of whatever was handy for a few years.