Bergen Tools - step drills

ejparrott

I've lost my step drill.....again.....it's in the workshop..somewhere.....I was only using it a few days ago.....

Anyway, it was blunt on the 12mm step, thought I've not investigated whether it can be sharpened, but it's also on a precision ground 1/2" shank and I have a job gripping it tight sometimes, it's also the full 4-30mm jobby.

Been looking around and have seen some sets in a box made by Bergen, same 4-30 range but over 3 bits, also with a hexagon shank. I paid £30 for my Hall one, these sets seem to be about £20.

Are Bergen tools any good? It's not a name I've come across before

I'm happy buying their stuff as it's not too spendy, and doesn't break the first time you use it.

This. My Bergen sockets have lasted 10+ years of weekend-warrior abuse, and cost less than £20 per set. On that basis I've carried on purchasing Bergen stuff and have yet be disappointed.

Other opinions are of course available.

I'm still not sure how one would sharpen step drills without a specially designed jig

Bergen, not bad, but a set of three step drills bought from Aldi a good while ago are brilliant! Cost less than a tenner. Similarly Aldi do a metric tap and die set (complete with correct cobalt clearance drills) for £15 - the drills are worth the price alone.