Opinions please

Happyoldgit

Well it looks very nice, but why are they not using the dropped military shackle holes? Few spots on the chassis would benefit from a brush and repaint, looks like it's had a good repaint.....almost a shame about the shiny new number plate!

post-20466-0-14700500-1454076777_thumb.jpg

I was convinced that this was my old 109 that I registered for the road. Registered at the Ipswich DVLA office in 2007, hence the similar registration I guess

Sorry for the hijack - but a 109 of the same period for comparison purposes!

The rear tub raises questions - the rivets along the left side initially suggest a new side, but the joint with the bulkhead has no rivets, so what's going on? And then the rear panels and lights, Defender style? The last of the 88"s had that arrangement, but not 109s. It could have been added later as a storage unit, but the battery tray between the seats suggests a 24-12V conversion.

12v

I rescued it from a scrapyard in Essex, cleaned down and painted the body with a roller in satin nato green, and repainted the hood brown. It needed a tiny bit of welding on the cross member where it looked like it had hit something. Cleaned up the points and she went straight through an MOT!

Just checked the MOT status and it is still on the road. Another one saved :-)

As a pointer on price - the 109 that I put a picture of in the military thread on this I sold for £1,600 way back in 2008. It was 100% standard military but the engine bay was nowhere near as pretty as this one

Looks pretty good Steve . The bit I would be checking is the rear of the chassis where rust stains can be seen through the paint. I also note there are no pic's of the drivers side bodywork , was looking to see if the rear tub is correct - no filler to the rear . Rear light layout is correct I think for a late SIII .

I also see the front axle is not braced , which I thought was common across all Mil. 109's . It may still have the 1 ton brakes of course

cheers

Steveb

Didn't they stop adding reinforcing when they changed the axle design in 80/81?

I would imagine that they are not using the extended shackles due to lift caused by the parabolics as it looks to be sitting high already?

The tray in the photographs is the tool tray style tray, I believe it's fitted the wrong way around as the projection you can see at the front is designed to hold the rear edge of the flat cover. FFR battery trays do not have that projection and instead have an upturned lip all the way around the outer flange to hold the raised lid in place.

Looks good (as in condition) apart from the hideous tilt (late Defender/Wolf/Puma thing?).

If it is as good in real life as the photo's could be a good un?

Wonder what the reserve is and how far the bidders ar willing to go?

Are you bidding on it?

Marc

I'm not convinced about the rear lights. Certainly the last 88s had it, but they finished a couple of years after the 109. Given the repair or alteration on the tub evidenced by the rivets on the left side, I'm wondering if the rear panels were also replaced. It makes little difference, but just seems odd.

Didn't they stop adding reinforcing when they changed the axle design in 80/81?

I would imagine that they are not using the extended shackles due to lift caused by the parabolics as it looks to be sitting high already?

I thought they stopped reinforcing the axles around the time of the introduction of the SIII.

Putting a 109 with parabolics onto 1-ton/WD suspension mounts and shackles does make it tall, enough that with the rear chassis supported directly and the rear springs unladen, the rear prop fouls its hole in the cross member. Maybe that's why they used the standard mounting positions and shackles.