P38 4.6 HSE auto - flex plate

Puffernutter

About a year ago I bought a green P38 4.6 HSE as a set of spares for my P38. It was relatively cheap as it sounded like a bag of spanners (I have posted before as we've hypothesised if it was the engine or gearbox).

Finally (and about 9 months later than I planned) I got the gearbox out today.

It would appear that my flexplate had heard about double thickness and in fact tried triple thickness.

I think I've found the source of the noise!

post-18874-0-54488900-1454275203_thumb.jpg

post-18874-0-00951300-1454275205_thumb.jpg

There were two bellhousing bolts missing and the rest weren't that tight. I suspect after a gearbox change, the failed to tighten them properly and allowed too much movement between engine and gearbox and over-stressed the plate!

Cheers

Peter

P.S. What's the flexible tube that fits into the selector switch on the side of the gearbox - no mention of it in the Rave and we had to remove it to get the box out!

We seem to have the tube re-attached, still none the wiser what it does, it is in the centre of of where the wires go into the switch position sensor.

A supplementary question - it looks like some of the debris has bent the crankshaft position sensor (that would explain why it would start but not run), can these be bent back, or should I get a spare as it's likely to snap?

There was some debris in the bottom of the bell housing, but we have now accounted for all the bits.

Just fighting the car to get the top three bell housing bolts in now - any tips?

Cheers

Peter