Vapour/Possibility build

skauldy

Guy's

Have some LR drive train parts lying around and always liked the look of the forestry trailer plus where i get my trees it pulls the bejesus out of the arse of my friends flatbed ifor so i was thinking what about building a log trailer using the axles i have lying about with 33" tyres and box section.

Does anyone know what load an LR axles can take as this might halt the build all together. Another thing i'm wondering is the spring height. If i use the original spring my bed is going to be pretty high and my load will sit high, could i get springs made that are say half the height. I haven't a clue when it comes to rebound and travel rates etc. Thanks

Shane

Oh I like the air suspension idea. I could lower it when loading and then lift it up. Could use the bags like Tonk is using in his camper build.

I was also thinking which may impact the load carrying abilities was to cut the hubs at the weld where they meet the axles tubes and weld a similar thickness tube getting rid of the diff

Wouldn't bother, get 10mm plate in stead and just slice the bottom off and plate it up.

And of course, only if it bothers you that much?

Although, why use the actual axle? You could just as well cut the flanges and suspension brackets off and weld them on to lengths of tube, you could easily widen the track 6 inches that way giving a bit more stability.

When you say log trailer do you need a solid floor and sides or will bolsters do? If bolsters then build it with rocking beams so the LR stubs bolt on however if you just want an off road ifor, buy an ifor and left the springs and put the LR wheels and tyres on it, I beleive a forumer has allready done this.

Just my 2p

Will.

Wouldn't bother, get 10mm plate in stead and just slice the bottom off and plate it up.

And of course, only if it bothers you that much?

Although, why use the actual axle? You could just as well cut the flanges and suspension brackets off and weld them on to lengths of tube, you could easily widen the track 6 inches that way giving a bit more stability.

Hi Nigel. Sorry I maybe didn't explain well enough. What your saying about the tube is what I'd like to do. Would tidy it up a lot

Might be worth reading the trailer IVA manual it will A. Help with ideas and B. Technically if you want to use it on the road you will need to pass it I believe.

Mike

Hi mike, I'm in Ireland and spoke to the authority in charge of trailers. I'm good to go

When you say log trailer do you need a solid floor and sides or will bolsters do? If bolsters then build it with rocking beams so the LR stubs bolt on however if you just want an off road ifor, buy an ifor and left the springs and put the LR wheels and tyres on it, I beleive a forumer has allready done this.Just my 2p

Will.

I initially thought of bolsters but the more talking to people I'm thinking of a flatbed tipping trailer and I can fit bolsters as needed for my logs.

What do you's reckon about springs. Fit the LR ones or get springs made half the size.

• 1 year later...

Whatever car you get the axles off should have a load plate which tells you the max load per axle so I would work with that.

A friend had a trailer on an LR axle and i don't think it had a diff or shafts in, the wheel was just mounted on the hub. It should be strong enough for the rated load so I wouldn't beef it up unless your planning to abuse it?

I would think a leaf sprung axle is easier to mount and I wouldn't bother with shocks. Also you can remove leafs to alter the springing or even get custom leaf packs made for the weight and height you require for not silly money. 

I guess a drum braked LR axle would be easier to brake, swap the hydraulic actuator out for a modified cable unit off something else - maybe a handbrake drum or a conventional trailer part? Auto reverse is usually a sprung mechanism on the leading brake shoe, not sure if you can buy ones that fit a LR drum or if you'll have to come up with another mechanism? Are you allowed the old fashioned manual lockout where you are? My friends just didn't have brakes. It met it's end when a loader driver had dumped a ton of sand at the back, they tried to brake for a corner and it pushed the back of the car straight on and into a ditch :rolleyes:

Would it be easier to modify an ex MOD off road trailer or are they not suitable?

For timber extraction (from presumably an off-road/in-wood location?) I would just copy the design various existing trailers that are built for the purpose.

In other words; big tyres, bogies not axles, bolster pins for round wood (unless converting in-wood), and a ring hitch.

I suspect your main problem with building anything big enough to carry a decent load will be shifting it off road loaded without a tractor.

Nevertheless I'll be interested to see what you come up with!