Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

Off this week so I decided to start removing the cyl head, timing case, sump and ladder frame, checked the bearings and pistons for play and I couldn't find any at all, really pleased so tomorrow I can start cleaning the engine down where we couldn't get with the jet wash then start building it back up again obviously with new seals and gaskets and a Disco timing case ready for fitting into the chassis :)

• 1 month later...

Good man.Ā 

Make sure you use 450amp cable, and put plenty of heat shrink on the live where it abrades on things it touches.Ā 

I have a 200 amp circuit breaker in there, just in case anything like that happens, to prevent fire. It's got a huge bosch battery from a jag.Ā 

DSC_0574-980x551.JPG

12 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Yeah think I will go for an Optima yellow top like I had on my last oneĀ 

Nice neat job that, sadlyĀ i can't weld and although the tdi power steering system converted to fit a series truck is the way to go I will just have to suffer and stick to manual steering :huh:

• 1 month later...

Hopfully work will start on the 90 next weekend we will start by painting the replacement bulkhead and smooth roof ( both already bought before deciding to sell ) and need to be fitted anyway then once they are both painted we will start removing the old roof and bulkhead, swap everything over from the old bulkhead to the new bulkhead then fit the replacement bulkhead and roof and get the 90 ready for selling, then once its sold I can then start work on the 2a but I will start by doing a bit of re-work as originally the 2a was for selling and everything that was replaced with BP parts will be replaced with decent parts now as the 2a will be a keeper and I have given myself 12 months to complete all being well :o:lol:

On ā€Ž3ā€Ž/ā€Ž28ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 10:45 AM, Cornish Rattler said:

Hopfully work will start on the 90 next weekend we will start by painting the replacement bulkhead and smooth roof ( both already bought before deciding to sell ) and need to be fitted anyway then once they are both painted we will start removing the old roof and bulkhead, swap everything over from the old bulkhead to the new bulkhead then fit the replacement bulkhead and roof and get the 90 ready for selling, then once its sold I can then start work on the 2a but I will start by doing a bit of re-work as originally the 2a was for selling and everything that was replaced with BP parts will be replaced with decent parts now as the 2a will be a keeper and I have given myself 12 months to complete all being well :o:lol:

Well that didn't happen yesterday but will happen tomorrow instead as whilst I was out getting the paint yesterday for the 90's new bulkhead and roof son rang me to say he has got chance of a load of flag stones we desperately need for in front of the garage for freeĀ so got back home and loaded the trailer on and with sons small van we collected 50 flag stones in 2 loads and then rough layed them to make life earier for driving in and out of the garage aswell as maneuvering the trailer to where I need it, then once the 2a is finished we will re-lay them properly but what I originally said for yesterday will happen tomorrow now instead

2011-06-07 00.25.55.jpg

2011-06-07 00.25.59.jpg

2011-06-07 00.26.03.jpg

2011-06-07 00.26.15.jpg

2011-06-07 00.26.28.jpg

2011-06-07 00.26.37.jpg

2011-06-07 00.26.42.jpg

Edited by Cornish Rattler

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to get stuck into the 2a again so once the 90 is finished, refit some of the shelving I took down earlier this year to fit the log burning stove as I now have a load of 2a stuff and Defender stuff on the floor which I need to move onto the shelving to make room for the 2a coming back in as still have the head to refit and rotate the timing belt twice to reset the belt then start doing everything else to it as I have loads of work for it next year with the trailer aswell as a few fishing trips planned :lol:

• 1 month later...