Workshop Ideas

Spearos

13 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

That should give you enough room if you keep the place tidy. Mine is 14' across and just about wide enough to work on the car easily. As long as you keep the floor clutter to a minimum.

Some decent shelves down the sides up above head height can save a lot of space by moving things off the floor. I plan for a 15" deep shelf right down one side of mine, which shouldn't interfere with the wider car clearance envelope.

Exactly that! The plan is to have racking down one side and a worktop with storage underneath along the other - I will just have to try and keep two sections (opposite one another) clear for increased width. As you say you can still have high level shelves/storage in these sections.

Crates (not necessarily from Tesco!) are great. i've got a load of those plastic moving boxes with the flapped lids, which all being the same size and stackable is great for making the most of any space designated for storage.

I was meant to say in my last post that Les nailed it when he said working indoors beats working outside. I dont mind the cold, it's rolling about in a puddle that gets me! The other big advantage for me is privacy - I dont like people seeing what tools/goodies I have!

Ross - All I can say is PALLET RACKING and standard industrial plastic crates. These things:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.36eea0dbdc1255b0cb7ade80876a9bd4.jpg

Pallet racking stores about 4x more stuff than workshop shelving purely because it's so very deep & wide (8x4 sheets of OSB as shelves) and using those plastic boxes means you can always buy more the same (identical) size so they'll stack - if you buy branded storage boxes from a DIY shop etc. they're never the same size as the next season's batch when you need another load of them.

Keep an eye on eBay for used ones you can get them for £5-£10 a box, may sound spendy but being standard units you can of course always sell them again for the same money. Likewise pallet rack, buy a popular flavour like Dexion or Apex and you can always get extra beams/uprights and you can always dismantle & sell what you've got.

I can stack those boxes long-ways 2-deep and many many wide on my racking.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Ross - All I can say is PALLET RACKING and standard industrial plastic crates. These things:

Pallet racking stores about 4x more stuff than workshop shelving purely because it's so very deep & wide (8x4 sheets of OSB as shelves) and using those plastic boxes means you can always buy more the same (identical) size so they'll stack - if you buy branded storage boxes from a DIY shop etc. they're never the same size as the next season's batch when you need another load of them.

Keep an eye on eBay for used ones you can get them for £5-£10 a box, may sound spendy but being standard units you can of course always sell them again for the same money. Likewise pallet rack, buy a popular flavour like Dexion or Apex and you can always get extra beams/uprights and you can always dismantle & sell what you've got.

I wouldn't bother much with ebay, they are as cheap and often cheaper direct from the supplier.

No affinity with apart from being a satisfied customer but try  Alison Handling https://www.alisonhandling.com/

Even if you dont buy anything from them the website has some good storage ideas.

Got talking to a truck driver at work a while back when I was having my concrete sectional garage erected and he said his garage ( concrete sectional ) was erected around a 4 poster ramp with the roof mounted on the posts of the ramp so when the ramp went up the roof went up with it, wish I had done that with mine :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2017 at 11:20 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.36eea0dbdc1255b0cb7ade80876a9bd4.jpg

I can stack those boxes long-ways 2-deep and many many wide on my racking.

By tesco crates I mean the kind they use for delivering your shopping to your door. They're a tough stackable and nestable box of a standard size. Without lids but that means you can see whats in there.

I'll make the racks/skates movable so I can get them out of the way when I need too. Pallet racking is great when you've got the space, but I haven't got the depth as its down the side of the car and would be 'permanent'.... not something I can just push out the way. Stacks of the Tesco crates that I can wheel out of the way are FAR more effective in my situation.

If I had the space I'd certainly go for pallet racking.... and pallets I can stash away with the forklift.

I certainly wouldn't waste my time with branded storage from a DIY etc... they're all utterly sh!te and never last. That said, Really Useful Boxes are good, I use them in my cupboards in the workshop for boxes of clamps/abrasives etc.

23 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Without lids but that means you can see whats in there.ble box of a standard size.

Also means everything in them will be covered in all that dust from the grinder etc etc! But.. if it works for you, that's what matters.

I hate any storage that is open, especially those little boxes which clip on a back board. I like to keep the contents of any storage free from the dreaded angle grinder dust - it gets everywhere and I'm always surprised by the sheer quantity of it!

24 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Marker pen + masking tape = label on box, easy!

What a waste of masking tape - just write on the box! :P 

18 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

:unsure: not much... its mostly localised. Just angle the sparks!

That never works for me - I still get nasty black bogeys, despite not aiming at my nose!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2017 at 7:03 AM, landroversforever said:

My unit is 14'6" wide and that's fine for walking around the 90 with the doors open. It's not great now there's so much stuff stacked around. I plan on making some movable racks to take Tesco crates so I can get stuff up off the floor and be able to move it around. 

Sorry for going slightly off topic but Landroversforever I see your in Oxfordshire do you rent a unit