97 Discovery SD transmission or Diff

DieselJones

97 Discovery SD will only drive when the Diff lever is engaged in 4 High. Whenever diff is in neutral the transmission will not engage in Reverse or Drive also if set to Park I can hear an awful grinding of the gears. Is this a diff issue or is it in the transmission, I want to be more certain before I take it to a mechanic.

You don't have 2WD on any Discovery, they are all permanent 4x4, unless the US versions are different (I'm assuming from the reference to SD that you're in the US).

Look underneath it and get somebody to put it in drive with the difflock not engaged; if you have a propshaft spinning without the vehicle moving then that is the end that has a problem. Rear - could be diff or halfshaft. Front - could be diff, halfshaft or CVs.

Indeed, no 2WD option for the LT230 from factory.

Suggest you read the owner's handbook :)

You have High, Low (forward and backward) with a centre difflock if you push the lever to the left.

If you only get drive when you push the lever to the left, then you have most likely snapped a half shaft, but from your description it just sounds like a case of RTFM :)

No different in the US - there are no 2wd Disco's unless personal build or Jeff R's

The bloody cheek of it :closedeyes: , I will have you know that Jordan has been 4wd (ish) for a couple of weeks now, front diff might be howling like a banshee and the front shocks might have decided to puke the oil out and the sills have dissolved, but it is all wheel drive........

• 7 months later...

Problem was a bad transfer case. Mechanic said it was full of metal shavings so I had him replace it. Shifts smoothly and quietly now. Also needed a new axle which was also replaced. Was advised to get new bushings and tie rod as well. He also reminded me of the missing stabilizer bar I had forgotten had fallen off. So I'll be getting shocks and tie rods soon and then I'll work my way down this long list of replacements.