Suggestions for cheap oil pump build for oil changes

luka

Hi all.

I am currently using a hand pump device that screws directly onto purchased 90W oil container to fill

transfer cases, gear boxes, diffs & ball swivels.

This works but takes forever and is a big workout for the ol' forearms lying on your back under the vehicle..

I,ve seen used, large oil cans, large syringe type devices.

Looking for thoughts that you guys may have for a cheap rig to build that might work electrically from a 12 volt dc source..

Examples i can think of are - an old electric fuel pump?- or power steering pump? - windscreen water squirters, etc.

A guy i know has modified a small gas bottle filled with oil that works by pumping compressed air into it but this method can get very messy very quickly if the pressure is not relieved at the right time stop the oil flow at the right time.

Any practical ideas form people who can see what i,m trying to do would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi agian.

Looking at local hardware stores i found a drill powered pump for around $25.00 AUD,

"Self priming drill powered pump, is suitable for 1/4" 6mm electric drills. It can pump up to 1300 litres per hour.

Suitable for 1/4" 6mm electric drills - Fast acting - Self Priming"

I think its for pumping water but need something for refilling gearbox and transfer case with gear oil.

Has anyone one found a better way to service these items.

Thanks

Hi lo-fi and thanks for the suggestion.

I do have a 12 volt 350 watt dc motor out of an old electric lawn mower. Next time i'm at the wreckers i"ll look at some old steering pumps.

May just be a overkill for the occasional box and diff oil changes but could be an interesting side project.