P38 won't start

Exmoor Beast

Here is todays brain teaser folks.

My p38 (M plate DSE) was un-used for a few months and its battery died. I fitted a new battery and she fired up straight away, ran it for a few minutes with the door open and the air suspension and everything was working sweetly. charge light is on below 2000rpm but belt is a tad slack so didn't worry about that. I drove it around for the day cheerfully wallowing in having it back and running nicely. Parked it up at the end of the day and the following day it wouldn't start.

I popped the bonnet and saw all the leak off pipes were wet and one was bubbling fuel so i ordered some pipe and replaced them all. Still wouldn't start.

I took the fuel feed pipe off the injector pump and stuck it in a milk bottle, ignition on and a plentiful supply of derv came through. Next up I removed the fuel feed off the injector at the gearbox end and got no2 son to try and start it, drip......drip..........drip. ummm took fuel feed off the radiator end injector and did same, nowt, not even a drip.

Then the rain came back so I handed it to the local garage for a look. they checked the stop solenoid which seemed fine. No other ideas.

I've got a diesel sync unit from a fine chap hiring them out, first plug in it flashed green and second time I tried it was solid green so seems the injector pump is sync'd ok.

Bloody thing still won't start though, turns over fine but just won't fire.

Any suggestions before I give in and trailer it 20miles to someone who will charge me a fortune?

Will :-(

11753684_10153084953448087_3100092486470

'It's been standing for a few months', does that mean it was last filled up with fuel during the summer?

Since you had the car running, what has been the air temperature?

I suspect you have got fuel waxing, through using summer diesel during cold weather. I had the same problem during last winter.

Fortunately mine was is a Series 2a with underseat tanks, so I could look straight into the tank and see a big 'plate' of wax floating about. The serious (blocking) wax was around the fuel tank changeover switch. I disconnected the pipe at the only fuel tank in use, disconnected the pipe at the inlet to the mechanical lift pump, then blew down the pipe with lung power. That proved the route was blocked, so I then applied a dose of compressed air at the tank end of the pipe. This caused a nice splurgy noise from the engine side of the bulkhead. I then drained the tank, put in some winter diesel (it being winter), and away it went.

Where you disconnect the pipes to pinpoint the blockage, and how you clear it, is up to you, but hopefully my experience can be translated to a model some 40 years newer in design.

Regards.

Fuel in there was put in in November. It has been running perfectly for two days though since its lay up and didn't break down it was just just stopped as normal one night and failed to start the following day.

Fuel is free flowing to the injection pump with the ignition on. Its the pump that seems not to be working for some reason or another.

Snapped chain maybe?

Diesel sync-mate been tried and says all OK

Stop solenoid is working.

Is there another potential electrical culprit? Fuse or carp connection maybe...

Will :-(