Bigoutdoors Overlanders/4x4 camping meet. Brecon Beacons. May 6-8th

TJ101

Overlanders/4x4 camping meet. Brecon Beacons. May 6-8th

Maybe of interest to a good few here,,

A overland/4x4 camp meet weekend being held in the Black Mountains of South Wales, taking place over the weekend of the 6-8th of May. Should be of interest to anyone into vehicle dependant overland travel, or those who simply love camping in the big outdoors Looks to have plenty of things to do/planned to keep the whole family happy.

Link to event website

http://thebigoutdoors.org/

• 3 weeks later...

Not ironic at all. My farm (where the event is being held) is on the edge of the park and a short tarmac jaunt to all the great lanes of Mid Wales. I also have a very good rapport with the Parks, am on the local access forum and on close personal terms with all the wardens. If you think we are going to jeopardise this relationship by doing anything untoward within the National Park then you really do not know the organising committee very well and I suggest you do a bit of research before coming out with such silly statements.

• Like 1

And a green lane tour is just a small bolt on extra to the weekend as a whole. We have participants who will also be hiking, mountain biking and canoeing in the local area. In addition we are running seminars on expedition first aid, navigation and overland preparation, with orienteering and geocaching activities for people to participate in.

• Like 1

Not ironic at all. My farm (where the event is being held) is on the edge of the park and a short tarmac jaunt to all the great lanes of Mid Wales. I also have a very good rapport with the Parks, am on the local access forum and on close personal terms with all the wardens. If you think we are going to jeopardise this relationship by doing anything untoward within the National Park then you really do not know the organising committee very well and I suggest you do a bit of research before coming out with such silly statements.

The event is advertised as being in the heart of the national park.
So it is in fact on the edge, within an easy drive of some great lanes...all of which are not in the national park.
Some of Wales best lanes, Sarn Helen, the Gap, Talybont, and Grwyne fawr, have all been closed.
Whilst doing so, the Brecon Beacons park authority had an anti 4x4 agenda, I believe that to be a fact.
It appears to be an event that encourages 4x4 owners and is being held in an area that discourages them.
That for me is ironic.
I'm not sure what you mean with regards jeopardising relationships.
  • Like 1

have you really researched this or is this a throw away comment?

"Unfortunately ALL the lanes in the Brecon Beacons National Park are out of bounds now. Can't comment on Snowdonia, but here you are about 10 years too late :-("

Above is a quote from the man who's farm the event is held on. Said on another thread on this forum, when a question was asked regarding laning in the area.

However as someone who used to spend a lot of time in the Brecon area, I already knew that.

So no, not a throw away comment.

i am still lost as to what your issue is here, its an event based at a farm in the national park that has a greenlane excursion as part of the event. there is no mention that the greenlane trip is in the national park.

So you have one bit of info about the National Parks lanes being out of use, i accept that, thats great, what i meant was have you actually researched the rest of the event. ie asked them where the greenlaning is taking place, looked into what they are actually doing. I guess not.

its easier to just criticise and make assumptions i guess and try to paint a bad picture at others peoples expense when you have nothing to loose.

I am one of the organisers of the event, Thankyou Pat Pending for having a look at our website. The area as I am sure you can confirm to the rest of the forum readers is one of the most scenic in the country. We are looking forwards to putting on a great new event and format with plenty of things to keep all the family occupied. As mentioned above, we have a plethora of things to keep people entertained should they want more than to just soak up the epic surroundings.

We have Victoria Lundstrom on hand, she's a D of E instructress and avid adventurer, she's there to get WAGs and children involved with an active outdoor life style whilst other halves are making strange cooing noises about led lighting and the most practical overlanding equipment available. We have a practical first aid demonstration from a member of North Devon Coastgaurd. We have links with local MTB guides ( you will need to be fit) and a Kayaking firm on the River Wye. David Bowyer will be onsite, not only to talk about winching but also to share his love of amateur radio with our guests. Sure everyone has a CB, but not everyone knows how to get the best from it or the way to talk correctly.

We are as stated above running a lead Greenlaning excursion in the local area for those that wish to, Orgasmic Farmer our route liason officer has a route planned that is both legal and non damaging.

Western Valley Models from near Newport will be onsite with a collection of 4x4 Remote controlled cars for the inner child in all of us. With their help we are making a dedicated Scale RC offroad area so that the little trucks can play alongside the big trucks :huh::closedeyes:

There's many more things to do that I haven't mentioned but can be found on the website here: http://www.thebigoutdoors.org Tickets are just £75 per vehicle based on 2 adults and 2 kids. This also entitles you to all the free activities and seminars that are taking place on the Saturday and Sunday of the event....See you there?? :ph34r:

post-4661-0-83533200-1460021850_thumb.jpg

I for one would love to be there, but life is right in the way at the moment, but assuming more will be run, I will definitely be booking myself and my son in in the future.

Good luck to all the organisers, I know it takes a lot of commitment to pull things like this off, and do really like the new direction 4x4Adventures has taken :)

i am still lost as to what your issue is here, its an event based at a farm in the national park that has a greenlane excursion as part of the event. there is no mention that the greenlane trip is in the national park.

So you have one bit of info about the National Parks lanes being out of use, i accept that, thats great, what i meant was have you actually researched the rest of the event. ie asked them where the greenlaning is taking place, looked into what they are actually doing. I guess not.

its easier to just criticise and make assumptions i guess and try to paint a bad picture at others peoples expense when you have nothing to loose.

It's really quite simple.

I've never criticised the event, it actually looks quite good.

It's the location I have issue with, or more specifically the park authority.

Brecon Beacons have closed routes in the park, they have an anti 4x4 agenda and for that reason I found it ironic it was to be the location for an event that promoted 4x4 use, directly or indirectly.

Is that so difficult to undertstand?

I can see greenlaning is not a major part of the show, but for many people green lanes are access to the countryside to enjoy other activities.

Closing lanes limits these other activities, many of which the show is promoting.

At the time I made the comment I had no idea that it was on O/F's farm or that either of you were involved in the organisation.

That doesn't alter the validity of my comment

I wont spend my money in an area that has chosen to make me feel unwelcome because of how I choose to access the countryside.

Does that make sense?

Not really, because by not using it, you seal it's fate!

No, the park authority will have sealed it's fate.

If business is lost, then those affected need to take it up with the park authority.

It's a pity because the event does indeed look good, it's just the sort of thing I'd attend.

The area is magnificent, as I said, I used to spend plenty of time there.

I just cant bring myself visit, as I can't stand the thought that I'm somehow supporting the park authority or legitimising their views.

I'll add, I hold the same view of the Peak District, another area that's chosen to alienate 4x4 users.

It's a matter of principle.

• 3 weeks later...

It has the potential to be a good event - unfortunately it almost clashes with the most important social even the South West of England has yet seen, since the dawn of time and my wife won't let me go to both. With luck if it proves it's mettle and runs again next year I might just be able to go

It has the potential to be a good event - unfortunately it almost clashes with the most important social even the South West of England has yet seen, since the dawn of time and my wife won't let me go to both. With luck if it proves it's mettle and runs again next year I might just be able to go

Go on then, I'll bite, what is it?

Bath & West is at the end of the month, Glastonbury in June, so I suspect it might be just that it is really, REALLY, important to your wife ;)

I really hope you can make it at some point David. Want to book you in to talk about Nav again :-)

Go on then, I'll bite, what is it?

Bath & West is at the end of the month, Glastonbury in June, so I suspect it might be just that it is really, REALLY, important to your wife ;)

If you don't know then you won't be going :-) All being well I hope to be there for at least one evening (even though I haven't RSVP'd yet)