Winch challenges in 2016

This thread could be used to stock pile all the events for this year, but the main reason for starting this was to ask where are all the winch challenges!

I know of the big ones!

Welsh Extreme last weekend.

The Wooldridge Trophy

The Decider

The severn Valley Trojan Trophy - which I may enter!

But there doesn't seem to be any for Land Rovers if you get my drift! The only fun one I know of it The Scott Williams Memorial Winch Challenge.

So if you know of any other challenges please add them!

Also there's:

Driven to the Edge

King of Wales

Scotia

Steve

Steve, there are loads of lads up and down driving "Challenge trucks" but they don't want to use them.

We were running the "Challenge North West" but a lot folks didn't want to commit, which as an organiser is murder.

They wanted a turn up on the day sort of event, which is nigh on impossible to run, finantially, setting up, choosing sites, caters, camping, putting barbeques on etc, all sorts of proplems.

We had aimed to set a 25% easy, 50% normal'ish, 25% difficult ratio of punches to try end encourage new folks into it and keep the vets engaged, we saw a few new ones come along, but not what we had hoped for and we constantantly sought feedback to try and evolve to what people wanted.

But it was a lot of mither, not a lot of support (from the club) so we ran it for a second year and stood down.

Hats to organisers and teams who do put in the hard work, they are all diamonds.

Boothy

• Like 1

Yes, I have heard of stories like that. I think that maybe what happened to the Mud Monsters series this year!

It is very difficult to organise an event if you don't know how many people are coming as it's a big commitment!

In that case i'll try and go to event already on this year and support them.

Come on people! You too!

Steve

Yorkshire Off Road Club are running two challenge events this year, both closed to club members and both catering for "grass roots" competitors with competitors ranging from those in standard vehicles (without a winch in some cases) to those with "all the toys". It's a "real" challenge event, the sort we used to compete in 20 years ago before all the "extreme" bull**** sought to destroy the scene.

Both events are run under MSA regs and all vehicles must comply with the "road legal" sections of the regs. Some of the requirements for things such as winch strops and shackles have, with the agreement of the MSA, been dropped for vehicles without winches.

Last years event was a real success, hence we've added two into the calendar this year. There are a few pics from last year's event here which might give an idea of the sort of vehicles competing...
http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/imagegallery/thumbnails.php?album=219

There are still vague plans to run one last Muddy Truckers Trophy too but IF it happens that won't be until 2017.

Thanks Dave, they sound like good events, just a shame I working on the first two dates, but I might try the Trojan Trophy later in the year.

Thanks Dave (Another Dave!) Sounds also like a good event, but just a shame that Yorkshire (for me) is so far away!

Steve

Last years event was a real success, hence we've added two into the calendar this year. There are a few pics from last year's event here which might give an idea of the sort of vehicles competing...

http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/imagegallery/thumbnails.php?album=219

Wow looks like how the events used to be............even down to the fixing wheel bearing/CV picture :D

• Like 1

Wow looks like how the events used to be............even down to the fixing wheel bearing/CV picture :D

You're not kidding ! :) Ashcroft CV and it blew it's innards apart on the first punch of the day, not ideal. BITD I used to carry spare CVs and shafts with me, that was the first breakage I've had since changing over to Ashcroft innards in 2007, probably a cumulative effect of 8 years of competition.