Homemade parts cleaning fluid

HoSS

Diesel works well and the oily film/residue can be a benefit in some cases depending on what you're cleaning. Personally I can't stand the smell of it though, and it's propensity for getting everywhere.

I have used petrol for cleaning some things (wheel bearings mainly) but you have to be f'king careful. Brake cleaner or similar solvent works wonders, though it's quite expensive so better for detail work rather than large-scale cleaning of a timing case for example. I buy it in 5 litre containers and transfer into a squirt bottle for use.

I've heard kerosene/paraffin works well for cleaning. Not tried it myself.

I've just cleaned all my diff centres and ARBs with this stuff!:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-litre-parts-washer-concentrated/

I have one of the small parts washers, but last time I used it I ditched the mezzanine level and didn't use the 10 or so litres it recommends because of the following:

- I put 0.5 litre or so of the fluid in the tank and topped up with boiling water with the parts in.

- Didn't use the parts washer pump!

- just used a small paint brush/toothbrush.

It seems to work a lot better the hotter the water is! Ok, it's not the best and I use parafin at work, but it stinks! So for a quick wash at home this is ideal.

As I said it works best with boiling water and then wash the parts quickly after as when the water cools off it's useless. A couple of times I've topped up with another kettle full of water so you can use the same stuff again.

Also I've tried reheating it too - that didn't work either and is more hassle than it's worth!

Steve

And it smells nice too! Orangy I think!

I've just cleaned all my diff centres and ARBs with this stuff!:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-litre-parts-washer-concentrated/

I have one of the small parts washers, but last time I used it I ditched the mezzanine level and didn't use the 10 or so litres it recommends because of the following:

- I put 0.5 litre or so of the fluid in the tank and topped up with boiling water with the parts in.

- Didn't use the parts washer pump!

- just used a small paint brush/toothbrush.

It seems to work a lot better the hotter the water is! Ok, it's not the best and I use parafin at work, but it stinks! So for a quick wash at home this is ideal.

As I said it works best with boiling water and then wash the parts quickly after as when the water cools off it's useless. A couple of times I've topped up with another kettle full of water so you can use the same stuff again.

Also I've tried reheating it too - that didn't work either and is more hassle than it's worth!

Steve

And it smells nice too! Orangy I think!

So heat is the secret then, it's rubbish cold so that makes it a one time use fluid. I took mine out of the tank and just use it for washing down oil spills now.

For years I used the drained contents of a missfuel (petrol into a diesel vehicle); I had originally used it for the lawnmower, but the diesel content, though small, damaged the carb, but it didn't go to waste...

So heat is the secret then, it's rubbish cold so that makes it a one time use fluid. I took mine out of the tank and just use it for washing down oil spills now.

It appears so!

Hot water, preferably boiling to leave to soak for a bit and then once finished (or cold) throw it away!

Steve

In a previous world we scavenged a 205-litre drum of AVTUR or Jet.A-1, but now I use paraffin for general cleaning - and when it gets a bit mucky I strain it through a depth-filter [as used on John Deere tractors] and sling it in the central-heating-oil tank. 5 litres of oily paraffin in 1000 litres of 28-second heating-kero isn't an issue.

For some things - specially anything even vaguely electrical like starter-motors - IPA [that's IsoPropyl Alcohol, not India Pale Ale] is better since it's less likely to cause damage to insulation. Blow-dry with a compressed air line !

The other option is to use the dishwasher!!! a couple of cycles set to the 'maximum hotness' program works really well to clean up things like cylinder-heads, intake-plenums and other alloy-bits.

Tankuni what is a john Deere depth filter?

I usually use diesel for flushing out oil residue, an industrial steam cleaner soap neat and then brake and parts cleaner depending on how clean I need something.

Will.

I use the dishwasher too! (Shhh Don't tell Sarah!) Occasionally she says the dishwasher smells funny (read EP90) - but a cycle or two running it empty seems to get rid of the smell.

The dishwasher tablets are very alkaline and disolves the surface of Aluminium (which is why they come out so clean!). I tend to use about 1/4 of a tablet or no tablet and you don't get the grey film (Aluminium Oxide) over everything. The boiling water alone is enough to shift the worst of the dirt.

Hand cleaner works well in the dishwasher too - and doesn't smell too bad either.

Si

Another vote for misfuellings - less filmy than neat diesel.

Am glad somebody managed to make that Machinemart fairy liquid stuff work, all I got was a gunky mouldy mess in the bottom of the parts washer.

HoSS, are you currently in Bristol or Schwyz? If the former, I keep driving past a place that is advertising Kerosene at 49p /l near Temple Meads, am tempted to give it a go myself. If the latter....um try your local Landi.

I used to have paraffin but it seemed to turn itself back into crude oil in the tank over time :/

I now have rock oil soluble oil cleaner. Came in 25 litre drums and wasn't that expensive.

However after watching many an episode of Kim and aggie with the wife anything can be cleaned with white vinegar and lemon juice! Sometimes a bit of baking soda can make things a little more exciting.