P38 Alpine radio wiring

P38 Paul

Afternoon peeps , I have just purchased an original Alpine head unit XQD101550LNF for my P38 DSE m/y 2000 . Just had a go at fitting it in the car but the wiring plugs for the Sony cd changer are very different from the sockets in the head unit , My question is :- Does anyone know where I could purchase a patch lead to connect them together or am I flogging a dead horse . The Sony cd changer I have is connected via one red plugged cable , one white plugged cable & a round DIN type plug , The plug I am trying to connect to on the Alpine head unit is a 20 pin oblong socket , Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated , Kind regards , Paul .

It probably won't work. The communication with the original CD changer is done over I-Bus, and the head unit won't recognise it if this communication is not present.

Hello Elbekko , So it looks like I will have to buy another cd changer + the wiring , You wouldn't happen you know the make & model of cd changer that was fitted with my Alpine head unit would you ? Kind regards , Paul .

The LR part number is XQE100240. Some BMW units from a similar vintage could also work, at least partially. They do go for a fair price though...

Thanks for that , I will have a look on fleabay & see what they are going for .

• 2 weeks later...

Did you manage to get one? If not I'll take a look at the few I'm breaking to see if I have one.

Hello Reggie , I haven't got the cable or the XQE100240 cd changer yet , They are a real bugger to get a hold of , Please do have a look for me , it would be most appreciated , Kind regards , Paul .

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update , I have now purchased the Alpine CD Changer XQE100240 , So just need a cable / lead to connect it up with my Alpine head unit XQD101550 . I think the cable / lead part number is AMR6302 . Any help with this part would be most appreciated .

Are you sure the wiring isn't already there? If it has the high-line system, it should (with the Harman-Kardon speakers).

Hello elbekko , The car is a low-line model with no subwoofer , I am just trying to change my after-market system with genuine system .

I've got the lead in the car still, just a matter of removing it. Can't see a part number but it was the lead that was attached to XQE100240 CD changer.

hello Reggie , If its got a small blue plug at the radio end then that's the one I'm looking for .

Hello elbekko , The car is a low-line model with no subwoofer , I am just trying to change my after-market system with genuine system .

I see. Then you will need the wiring indeed. Although on a low-line an aftermarket stereo gives you so many more modern options, it's usually the high-line that gets "stuck" with the original head unit (not that it's bad) because of the extra amplifiers causing whine in the speakers. But I can understand wanting the OEM look of the original head unit.