Automatic gearbox problem

Manxmann

I have a early discovery 2 td5 auto. Having a problem with the automatic gear box. About 6 months ago I changed the gear box oil, ran it for a few hundred miles and changed gearbox filter and oil again. Everything good up to a week or so. The box seems to be changing up through all the gears ok ( sometimes a bit slow changing up) but main problem is once in top gear the revs stay high. It used to always feel it had changed up another gear when the revs dropped down but it's not doing it anymore. Checked level of oil and all good with no burnt smell. Has anyone got any ideas what it could be. Thank you in advance for any help you guys can

Sounds like the torque converter is not locking up (it should lock in 3rd and 4th above a certain speed) but no idea where you would start to look to fix it, or whether the problem would be electrical or mechanical. I have a nasty feeling you may be in the market for a service exchange gearbox & torque converter...

Sounds like lock up isn't working as it should.

The thing is ECU controlled so have it talk to another computer to see what they have to say.

Will cost you but you might be able to make a deal on the price if the box needs to be replaced...

Make sure all connectors are clean and doing their job.

Quick update, got the disco plugged in, no errors on the gearbox ecu, but the mass air flow thingy was fairly fu**ed and the air filter was very dirty. Put new filter in and waiting on air flow meter to be posted. Mechanic unplugged the air flow meter and told me to leave it that way till new one is put on. So far still got same problem. Any more ideas that I could try would be great.

Cheers guys

Not sure what happens to the gearbox programming when the engine goes into limp, but I suppose it is not outside the realms of possibility, fingers crossed getting the engine running properly will fix the box issue.

One other idea -sticky solenoid, which I think are fairly easy to change.

Ok guys, new air filter fitted, new air flow meter on. Car seems to be running better but still problem with auto box. It is very slow sometimes to change up into second ( 3000 to 3500 rpm) and other times not a problem. Sometimes I am now getting throttle lock which is what it wasn't doing. Tends to go into throttle lock easier when pulling a triaxle trailer than when it's just pulling itself. With trailer on throttle lock comes in around 55 ish mph. When no trailer on it seems to kick in at a higher speed and sometimes with a good thud. All gears changes are smooth. Should I replace oil and filter again even though it was only done six moths ago or am I throwing good money after bad? Any other ideas that I could try would be much appreciated. Cheers guys

• 9 months later...

still got problem with gearbox going into throttle lock. sometimes it takes the notion to work but most the time I am going round reving the tits off it. might sound really silly but it tends to work better when its raining. any help on what to look for would be great guys

Some auto service places have a fluid circulation pump system where they connect their machine to the supply hose to the cooler and can flush out any crud in box and in the centrifugal governor and the torque converter,

If I were you I'd try this first, it's not a very expensive service cost but at the end of it you will know that your ATF is clean and that any defects that remain are mechanical and not fluid.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...