RRC with Mazda 3.5 - What R380 will fit ?

Mr_13B

Hi Lads,

As above.

Doing a full rebuild at the mo and getting the Chassis dipped this week. Will need the engine etc back in to make space ASAP but I want to change the LT77 for an R380.. Just need to confirm which one I need as I've been told theres 2 different V8 types.

Also gonna dump the Borg warner Transfer Box and get one from a Disco 300tdi. Will the ratios with the V8 R380 be the same as the 300tdi R380 ?

Cheers

Andy

Ratios differ, they're all on Ashcrofts website I believe.

There's certainly different bellhousing & clutch for P38 compared to RRC/Disco 1, don't know about Disco 2.

As for behind an SLT35, nothing LR made will be 100% happy - try to exercise mechanical sympathy, don't slog it at low revs - the engine will pull it but the gearbox will not thank you.

I still have the LT77 with its bellhousing that I got with engine so I could change that too. Just need to know what difference of R380 is an input shaft length etc.

Lt77 was rebuilt but I dont like reverse top left.

Will the V8 R380 be the same ratio as the 300TDI R380 ?

Cheers for the reply !

Andy

....I would suggest he is referring to the reach distance for reverse say when on a steep failed hillclimb , lets face it , it's not like LandRover have an ergonomics section in the Defender design studio......... ^_^

cheers

Steveb

Its the Reverse on the top left that annoys me. Off roading its a pain in the arse and as I have the body off and everything getting re done id rather do it all now while its off.

I agree completely and not only offroad - at the traffic lights as well - in 1994 I bought a new V8 Disco with the LT77 - kept on going into reverse when going for 1st at the traffic lights.

Sold the vehicle a few months later and bought a new update with the R380 - what a breath of fresh air.

Go a R380 over a LT77 anyday even if it costs a bit more.

Garry

I would say it's no easier at all. And slamming back and forth is really just poor driving IMO.

Rocking back & forth can be a very effective technique to get un-stuck, but can require very rapid forward/reverse changes to rock the vehicle within the available movement. Nothing poor about it.

I agree completely and not only offroad - at the traffic lights as well - in 1994 I bought a new V8 Disco with the LT77 - kept on going into reverse when going for 1st at the traffic lights.

Sold the vehicle a few months later and bought a new update with the R380 - what a breath of fresh air.

Go a R380 over a LT77 anyday even if it costs a bit more.

Garry

so your comparing a knackered lt77 for a r380 which hasnt worn out its reverse detent,....

so your comparing a knackered lt77 for a r380 which hasnt worn out its reverse detent,....

Hmmm no I sold the Disco with the LT77 with 3000km on it - was only 6 weeks old from new.

So went from a new LT77 to a new R380 and I kept the R380 Disco for another 15 years and had no issues.

The R380 was like a breath of fresh air compare to the LT77

While I also prefer the layout of the R380 gate, I agree that frequently selecting reverse by accident on a new LT77 smacks of ham fistedness. Fair enough on a worn out unit with knackered detents or maladjustment, but not a new one fresh from the factory.