RRC with Mazda 3.5 - What R380 will fit ?

Mr_13B

Checked the Ashcroft website and they say all R380s are the same bar the gearing is higher for a V8 ?!

I was led to believe there were 2 different types for the V8 and the 300TDI etc. So might be just a case of changing the TOE bearing and the Bell Housing from the LT77 !

I have an R380 from a Disco Im breaking for parts so might end using this as it seems to be in good nick with no crunches etc. Fingers crossed anyway !

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6

What got forgotten in all this handbag swinging is that the R380 has syncro cones in reverse and a much stronger detent spring. It's actually designed to make 'rowing' (going from 1st to reverse and back to gain traction) easier Occasionally Land Rover did something very clever.

With an LT77 it's easier to go second to reverse and back - unless of course you have ruined the natural gearing by not changing the R&P when you fit bigger tyres

I'm a massive fan of the LT77 - unlike the R380 it seems to just keep holding on, but when the LT in my D1 goes, I will look to upgrade - simply because its a better box