Ford VR sensor - voltage output range

Puffernutter

To sort out my Range Rover starting issues I'm looking at using a toothed wheel and Ford VR sensor on the front of the engine (as used and sold by megasquirt).

I know that Hybrid from Hell is megasquirt, but he's obviously busy and hasn't responded to any e-mails or messages.

Fitting is not a problem, my simple question is does anybody know the voltage output range of the Ford VR sensor (I have Googled, but it hasn't helped!) as I'd like to plug it straight into the existing GEMS that's looking for 4 - 18v (according to the Rave).

Can anybody help please?

Cheers

Peter

But isn't EDIS 36-1 and the GEMS wheel something completely different?

Happy to be wrong on this though :)

VR sensors can give very large signals, assuming the GEMS sensors was VR then I can't see why it would give a signal that would do any damage... The current is what pops things, generally.

GEMS is a 36-1 "pegs" on the back of the flywheel (which is currently trashed and the sensor bent!)

The megasquirt is a 36-1 mounted behind the front crank pulley, my concern was whether the Ford VR sensor could drive the GEMS as I'd heard the signal was too low.

Cheers

Peter

It varies with speed, can be millivolts whilst cranking and 300v at high RPM. Possibly the ford one on the smaller trigger wheel would create less flux than the GEMS one on the outside of the flywheel as that's flying past more quickly.

Biggest issue would be making sure the trigger wheel is aligned exactly with the GEMS pattern or the timing will be off.

The existing pegs on the flywheel, whilst trashed still has the "-1" visible so I plan to align that with the sensor then do the same with the new one behind the crank pulley.

That should be pretty close and the pulley I'm planning on buying has slots, so I can fine tune as needed.

Cheers

Peter

• 1 year later...