Double pump compressor failure

BogMonster

I have had one of the 12V double pump compressors for a few years now, doesn't get much use but has worked well on the few occasions I have used it. It's the Britpart variety but they are all much the same in appearance.

I was just blowing up a dumper tyre (didn't look at the size but it's a 6 tonne dumper so probably a 40" tyre) and got it to about 25psi when the compressor got progressively slower and then popped the fuse - I guess it had been running for somewhere around 5 minutes continuously. I replaced it with a 30 amp fuse which was the largest I had (not sure what the old one was - it was melted) and even when not connected to anything it popped with a bright flash as soon as I switched the power on - probably seized I think. It was fairly warm but not stinky hot - certainly not enough to have seized.

I have no idea what the duty cycle is but I don't think blowing up a flat dumper tyre should be beyond one of those compressors - has anybody had similar problems with them? And can anybody tell me the correct fuse rating - I've long since lost or dumped the book!

Ta :)

Ta, I have since found an online manual for it which says 30 min duty at 40psi is fine, so it shouldn't have blown up but I fear it probably has :(

And it specifies 45A current draw, 50A fuse, though I don't know if a 50A blade fuse is readily available.

I'll tackle it on the weekend and see.

I don't know what lubricates the cylinders during operation - nothing as far as I can see? I guess heat seizure might be the cause but it only ran for a bit over 5 minutes and it's supposed to manage 30 min at 40psi at much higher ambient temp so it shouldn't have seized.

It is just a normal sized blade fuse like you would find in a Defender fusebox for example. I'm not wasting money on a new fuse holder as I think it's probably had it anyway, so will short the fuse holder and if it then lets the smoke out it will go in the bin!

I seem to remember the T-max compressor I have ( I remembered the name!) Supposedly had carbon fibre rings, and no need for lubrication.

How much of that was marketing guff and how much was true I don't know :)

I pulled it to bits and ... nothing apparently wrong. The pistons move freely and so does the motor. I put it back together and it now works.

The piston seals looked like a sort of PTFE ring or something, bit of grease on them but no sign of being hot. I sprayed some silicone into the intake when it was running and managed to start a small fire when the overspray went into the motor and ignited, but otherwise fine and I put the flames out with some swearing :)

Fooked if I know what was wrong :unsure: