Top Gear

Bowie69

As others have said, they were doomed whatever they did, I thought it was sort of average compared with the average "old" version episode.

Evans thought he was still hosting TFI Friday, kick him out, he's just annoying and didn't seem to actually have anything useful to say.

I really liked LeBlanc though, thought he did rather well. I'd vote MLB and Sabine to host, let's hope Evans has one of his diva moments and flounces off.

Didn't watch the "extra" show, was it any good?

The Extra show wasn't half bad. They should have used those presenters (poached from youtube) for the main show.

I suspect they're trying to find the new Top Gear audience, as the die hards will go to Amazon prime. So you have a the "petrol head/youth BBC 3" programme and a more "beautiful film/banter/celeb" programme on terrestrial. Time will tell which format is more successful.

I mostly watched Top Gear for the overseas specials. It has been childish at times but I put up with those for the good bits.

Meh. Horrible camerawork, the celeb bit which used to be alright is now just horribly drawn out, Evans needs to head back to radio, and maybe they should hire some better script writers.

I enjoyed Extra more, I wonder if it's all a bit of a try-out and it'll later be combined with the good presenters picked out of it. Chris Harris, Matt LeBlanc and maybe Sabine if she gets a bit more comfortable speaking English in front of a camera. Chris Evans is a disaster, as expected. Don't forget, the previous series also started out with one horrible presenter.

Found the old show infectious, but that's because it appealed to the a$$hole in me. An agent provocateur, a fop and a apathetic beatnik given carte blanche to run amok whenever and wherever they chose. The wanton waste, destruction and disregard for the environment and others was disgusting, and compulsive viewing at the same time. Clarkson I respect as a journalist, he's intelligent and innovative, but he got big in his boots - something I suspect hitting the staffer is evidence of. The trio is a match made in heaven though, lord knows they're not great separately

I didn't think it was that bad! I used to like TG, but in recent years it became about the presenters rather than vehicles - like 'The three Ronnies' but less amusing. Doubtless a lot of people liked the presenters and the format - but I preferred it when the cars were centre stage and the presenters were, well, presenting.

I think the BBC have tried to find a half-way-house between the two extremes. It's still finding it's feet and will doubtless evolve based on public opinion (viewing figures) so it's probably not fair to judge after one episode?

I wasn't keen on CE - but he's trying to fill some pretty big shoes. Maybe he'll be better when he's in his own shoes?

Matt, I thought was pretty good. You can see he's an enthusiast and was enjoying it. I did want to tell him not to put his thumbs inside the steering wheel driving the Ariel though! One bump and a world of pain awaits!

Si

Enough of the damned Tomfoolery! Bring back beige and the likes of Angela Rippon, Chris Gofey, William Woolard etc who used to do good old straight forward reportage on things like motorway traffic conditions between London & Birmingham, what services offered the best lettuce sandwiches, the best place to install Binatone stereo speakers in a Morris 1000, how to cadence brake in an Austin Princess, the misuse of hazard flashers and fog lamps and how to stick small bits of plastic over areas of your headlamps when touring Johnny Foreigner land.

• Like 2

Don't forget Tony Mason and his RAC exploits :)

I used to love those bits. I was a club rally driver in those days, so a bit obsessed!

Top Gear has not been about cars for a while. Extra Gear was more my kind of programme, so I cannot imagine it will outlast the year!

Me too :)

Even remember him being out in what must have been CCV trials or something, and mentioning 'Triple wipers!' in a most exclamative way... :)

Probably my favourite of the old presenters, that and Tiff.

The thing is times have moved on. If i want to know how good a certain model of car is, or which services sell the best sandwiches, i can look online. I wouldn't want to sit through and hour of drivel on cars i'm not interested about. And if you do, you can still watch 5th Gear.

It's an entertainment show with 3 guys you may or may not want as buddies, doing stuff you can't do, and being politically incorrect in an age that is too much so.

I caught the end of it on BBC2 as it was re-run at about 1.30 last night. Le Blanc was quite good really. I really hate Evans and will never like him. Same show, slightly different people. I'll watch if its on in the background like i did with the old one. I'd be more likely to watch if it wasnt Evans, but thats just me.

Is it the best thing since individually wrapped sliced pieces of cheese? Probably not but what else is better? Not a huge amount, certainly not them britains got exercisers and other talent shows.

Im no likey chris evans so struggle a bit, matt the white a bit too wooden.

Notice how miserable the audience looked, standing cross armed being force to laugh at the jokey parts.

Three pages about a tv programme! No Land Rover or technical content?

I haven't owned or watched a television in years, but I seem to remember that you can change the channel or turn them off if you don't like it. :rolleyes:

I would, however, pay money to see Evans beaten to death with Clarksons severed head.

• Like 1

:D

Here's one... Sue Barker

Odd to think that my Disco 3 has similar perfomance to the Bentley Turbo!

Tony Mason at the AWDC Heavy Vehical trial when they took him out on the lake in a Gamma Goat but removed the drain bung and told him it was sinking all on camera!

Odd to think that my Disco 3 has similar perfomance to the Bentley Turbo!

Tony Mason at the AWDC Heavy Vehical trial when they took him out on the lake in a Gamma Goat but removed the drain bung and told him it was sinking all on camera!

It's Sue BAKER not Barker, we've got one of those in here already, & one is more than enough :hysterical: