Mini Review - Lidl Mains powered Torque Wrench

Gazzar

I've had a hankering for a battery torque wrench for a while, but never managed to convince myself one would be worth it.

Anyway, so I was in Lidl on evening and saw a mains powered torque wrench for £30. Worth a punt, I thought and so bought it.

It's sat in the garage for a month or two until last week when I had a problem taking the wheels off the ?Volvo - the security key was not engaging properly in the fancy wheel stud, it was caming out no matter what I did.

So I thought I'd try the lidl wrench; marvellous bit of kit! Bracing myself well, I was able to rattle the wheel stud off in a couple of seconds. I don't know what it was - probably it worked because I was able to focus on keeping the wrench against the wheel stud while the wrench did the hammery turny stuff.

Today I was changing the cylinder head on the tdi200 and one of the rocker retaining bolts would NOT move no matter what abuse (heat/mole grips/sockets). Solution: Hammer on a smaller 12 point socket, impact gun and away!

Top kit. For the tiny money, don't know how you could do better.

post-3246-0-43717600-1465581722_thumb.jpg

hammer turny stuff is what gets the job done!

What ibft rating is it out of interest?

I have a decent ingersol rand air one but I can't drag the workshop compressor around with me everywhere. This would be an ideal semi portable (i.e. you need a power supply) solution to get you out of a muddle

Exactly.. Although what can u expect when someone uses " hammery turny stuff" as a discription.

No, you're right - "Grunts" is the correct unit of torque (Part of the Si Stantard units you know - not to be confused with SI)

There are about 30Nm to the Grunt - for those un-initiated.

Si

And what if the scaffold pipe is diameter in mm and length in yards? Is that grunt yards mm? Oh and I think the impact torque gun thing is 450 German torques.

Hmm i have been looking for one of these, and my bad luck i was just in the UK last week, before reading this thread.

I dont suppose anyone would like to buy me one from Lidl and ship it on, for cost + beer tokens?

Hmm i have been looking for one of these, and my bad luck i was just in the UK last week, before reading this thread.

I dont suppose anyone would like to buy me one from Lidl and ship it on, for cost + beer tokens?

Can do. PM me if you want to sort it out

That's the thing with Lidl stuff - it's a once-off thing, they get a heap of stuff in and when it's gone, it's gone.

But it's good stuff, and good value for money, so if they come up again this review shou.ld give you an inkling of what you should expect. Cheap, adequate, and useful, with a decent warranty. Not a milwakee, not a dewalt, but better than black and decker.

Could an admin update the title of the thread please? Very confusing for people....

Yes, sorry about that, the Black Dog was dragging at me when I posted this up - my head wasn't the best.