head gasket change without setting timing

johnnycash1

Hello all, ok i when to change the head gasket, but never read the book first, so i just took the head off, then with head off turnned the crank to line the bottom timing mark, eveyone is no saying don't trun crank with head bolts out? whats the problem what damage have i done?

2 of the liners seem to have dropped a bit, but was hoping they will pull back up

help please

Dave

• Like 2

I've done dozens of head gaskets on this particular engine. If the liners have only lifted a small amount, then press them back down. I've never yet had to remove the sump and if the head bolts will screw in, then there's no problem.

"There are seals between liner and block to stop oil getting into sump" Water into the sump :)

Les

ok update. back together, running sweet, but but but, after a while water level is rising to top of exp tank? she is not getting hot. temp gauge smack in middle.

coolant fans never come on. been trying to bleed coolant system. no water in oil?

any thoughts

dave

8m bolt water comes out, then screw on heater hose. just thinking if it was the gasket or head still would it not be bubbling? why water level rising out of tank?

dave

the head must have gone, coolant keeps over flowing????????????

les where you live?

Water rising without bubbles is usually an air lock. As the air is heated it expands and pushes the water level up (when you switch the engine off it goes back down). It sometimes does take ages to bleed the system. You can try repeatedly squeezing and releasing the top radiator hose. Also turn the heater to hot.

I'm in Swindon, Wilts.

Les

• 1 month later...

les, put back no skim, and the bubbling, tried the magic in a bottle a £30 still no good, took head off n a mate had it skimmed, but he left it on doorstep have not seen him

yet gone on holls, but two small groves avove intake side of piston 2/3 . I put back together on tick over fine, rev and there is a noise lick the linner is slapping the head?

down to 20nm then 180 then 180 could I go anymore

dave

Highly unlikely. The liners should be slightly proud of the deck and are effectively clamped down when the head bolts are tightened. If one is moving with the head is on then your engine is wrecked. I would look for worn cam, worn/dished lifter(s), sticking valves,etc.

Les